Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > ALL pale Extract.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2012, 10:06 PM   #11
Brulosopher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverendBrett

AG is the difference. Extract usually runs about $4/pound, bulk is $3. At 6lbs per brew about, that's $6 bucks saved per batch.
Ah, very nice! Haven't brewed extract since 2002, and back then it was quite expensive.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #12
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 247 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
Not saying that there is anything wrong with using dark dme or the like, but when I can mash:

1 lb chocolate malt
12 oz black patent
8 oz roasted
12 oz crystal 80L

Stovetop mashing of specialty grains is too easy not to try and requires very little equipment.
You can't mash those grains without a base malt. You can only steep them. They all have lots of starch, which can be converted to sugars if you do a proper mash.

I like the convenience of stove-top brewing. I mostly do partial mashes (5 to 7 lbs of grain), and think it a great compromise, allowing me to get the flavors from a variety of grains, and adjust the fermentability of the wort.

Quote:
perhaps it should be said that I have an LHBS that is fantastic and crushes grain for free. I aknowledge that not everyone may have access to that
My LHBS has a mill that I can use (no cost), but I prefer to buy grains un-crushed. That way I can keep different types and create recipes without having to get the grains from the LHBS every time/week.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #13
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder

You can't mash those grains without a base malt. You can only steep them. They all have lots of starch, which can be converted to sugars if you do a proper mash.
Huh? Call it what you want, those malts all have little to no diastatic power.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:50 PM   #14
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1641 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Quote:

I like the convenience of stove-top brewing. I mostly do partial mashes (5 to 7 lbs of grain), and think it a great compromise, allowing me to get the flavors from a variety of grains, and adjust the fermentability of the wort.

My LHBS has a mill that I can use (no cost), but I prefer to buy grains un-crushed. That way I can keep different types and create recipes without having to get the grains from the LHBS every time/week.
im actually a master just tonight but I did do it with 2 pounds of Touro so I don't know thats conscious or whether you're right

**.... using the mic that was too funny to delete I apologize hope you see the humor....**

I actually mashed that recipe tonight but with 2 pounds of 2 row grains. don't know whether I knew what you were talking about or whether I just did it to use the base grains for the pH...... still use some sodium bicarbonate for the pH.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:51 PM   #15
Calder
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
Huh? Call it what you want, those malts all have little to no diastatic power.
???? Not sure what you are trying to say. The OP said he mashed the grains. I said he needed a base malt to mash them. Then you respond to my post saying you can't mash them.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:54 PM   #16
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Quote:

???? Not sure what you are trying to say. The OP said he mashed the grains. I said he needed a base malt to mash them. Then you respond to my post saying you can't mash them.
I didn't say you can't mash them, I said they have little to no diastatic power, so it doesn't really matter if you mash them. That's all. No offense intended

Old 10-07-2012, 11:54 PM   #17
Calder
Recipes 

Quote:
I actually mashed that recipe tonight but with 2 pounds of 2 row grains. don't know whether I knew what you were talking about or whether I just did it to use the base grains for the pH...... still use some sodium bicarbonate for the pH.
2-row is a base malt. I guess you mashed them. Sorry, your original post didn't say anything about using a base type malt.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:58 PM   #18
Calder
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
I didn't say you can't mash them, I said they have little to no diastatic power, so it doesn't really matter if you mash them. That's all. No offense intended
But it does make a difference. If you just steep them, you will get only a little sugar contributing to the OG. But if you mash them, you can get a lot more. With Crystal you can double the sugars from it by mashing. With more roasted malts (choc, black, etc) you can get 3X or more sugar from it. They all contain starches that can be converted to sugars, just like any other grain.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:01 AM   #19
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Quote:

But it does make a difference. If you just steep them, you will get only a little sugar contributing to the OG. But if you mash them, you can get a lot more. With Crystal you can double the sugars from it by mashing. With more roasted malts (choc, black, etc) you can get 3X or more sugar from it. They all contain starches that can be converted to sugars, just like any other grain.
Sugars that can be fermented? Hmm, I'll claim ignorance on this one, as I've always operated under other premises. I smell an experiment in my future!

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

|BRULOSOPHY|

Old 10-08-2012, 12:42 AM   #20
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1641 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Quote:

2-row is a base malt. I guess you mashed them. Sorry, your original post didn't say anything about using a base type malt.
no need to be sorry. I failed to mention that.

Quick Reply