Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > All my extract beers taste the same

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2008, 08:33 PM   #1
Toppers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default All my extract beers taste the same

Extract kits w/ grain steeping from a reputable company, I have made a wheat and tripel in the last two months. Neither one has much more than a month in the bottle.

They are both very good, but have this identical, annoying taste to them I cant figure out. Sometimes, I can't tell which one I am drinking! This is comparing a tripel to a wheat, lol.

Do they need several months in the bottle or is this something to do with the malt extract?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2008, 08:37 PM   #2
Tenchiro

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppers View Post
Extract kits w/ grain steeping from a reputable company, I have made a wheat and tripel in the last two months. Neither one has much more than a month in the bottle.

They are both very good, but have this identical, annoying taste to them I cant figure out. Sometimes, I can't tell which one I am drinking! This is comparing a tripel to a wheat, lol.

Do they need several months in the bottle or is this something to do with the malt extract?

Thanks!
SOunds like the dreaded extract "twang". http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/extr...ng-what-54434/

Old 10-06-2008, 04:01 AM   #3
cushdan
Recipes 

Are you using tap water? You may want to make sure the common flavor isn't from that.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:07 AM   #4
phissionkorps
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If your water is really "aggressive" it will lend a "character" to the beer, but I don't think it would be powerful enough to overpower the malt, hops, and alcohol and make it homogenous. Sounds like it might be "twang" to me as well. I've gotten the twang in about half of my extract brews. It mellows way out with old age (after a year).

Primary: star thistle traditional mead
Secondary: mango melomel, Biere de Garde, dark strong braggot, oud bruin, Paulaner clone, coffee RIS
Bottled: rye wit, sticke alt, Graetzer, Apfelwein, zeus SMaSH, APA

Old 10-06-2008, 05:40 AM   #5
Jaeger48
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It could be a cleaner, your process, contamination, hot ferment, or any one of several other items. Please describe process etc.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:42 PM   #6
GearBeer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I would definitely suspect the H2O if you're on city water. As Jaeger48 said, a description of your process would help.

Kyle

Old 10-06-2008, 06:43 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

How long are you letting them carb/bottle condition? If it's under 3 weeks, more likely the beers are just "green."

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-06-2008, 10:22 PM   #8
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

+1 on above suggestions

What yeasts are you using? Some companies use the same yeast for all or most of their kits. With wheat beers and belgians, most of the flavor comes from the yeast. If the supplied yeast was the same for both that could explain it. Also, belgians and german wheats generally have a pronounced clovey character.

Looking forward to brewing some beer

Old 10-06-2008, 10:46 PM   #9
Brandon O
Knapsnatchio
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 10 Posts

Are you a smoker? My buddy is a smoker and his taste buds are completely shot. He can't tell the difference between a New Castle and a budweiser.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:53 PM   #10
Toppers
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the reponses-

I have good tasting well water. I used Wyeast 3068 liquid yeast. So it's not either of those. The wheat beer in mention now has 6 weeks under bottle carbing and tastes the same. Followed the directions, 45 minute boil, etc. w/ grain steeping prior to all this for 20 minutes. The funny part is, it's good. But I can taste this strange thing and it's really annoying. It would be a superb beer if not for this off-taste.

Quick Reply