Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > All Grain to Extract Recipe Conversion help.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2008, 10:35 PM   #1
wedge421
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default All Grain to Extract Recipe Conversion help.

I found a beer called Fire in the Hole that I really want to make. The problem I am having is I can only find the ingredients in the form of an all grain recipe. I have the Beersmith program, is there a way to convert the all grain recipe to an extract form using that software or is there just a simple method that I am not aware of. The second answer being more likely im sure haha.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2008, 11:01 PM   #2
adx

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 4 Posts

Quick and dirty version: Keep all the specialty grains the same. Replace some of the base malt with extract until you get down to the amount of wort you can boil.

More information: http://home.elp.rr.com/brewbeer/extract/pres.pdf

If you post the recipe someone would probably convert it for you.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:57 PM   #3
wedge421
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Here is the recipe. I didnt want to just post it because I wanted to be able to answer my own question for future reference until I make the jump to all grain. Thanks for the info!!

http://halfmoonbrewer.com/brewlog/Fire_in_the_Hole.html

Old 03-04-2008, 12:24 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You might like this. It's a pdf file so you need Adobe Reader.

Converting All-Grain Recipes to Extract / Partial Mash
http://home.elp.rr.com/brewbeer/extract/pres.pdf

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-04-2008, 12:45 AM   #5
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

You are not going to be able to just steep that grain. The rye, wheat and munich need to be mashed. Just plan on doing a mini-mash and you will get there. If you sub out wheat malt for the flaked wheat, you should have enough enzymes in the 2 lbs of base malt grain to also convert the crystal and carafa.

Substitute 5 lbs of Light Dry Malt Extract for the Pale 2-Row

For the remaining 3.18 lbs of grain, mash in 1 gallon of water at 154 degrees for at least 30 minutes. You can do this in a pot on your stove using a big grain bag. After the mash, drain off the liquid and then run an additional 2 gallons of 170 water through the grain bag to sparge. Do this as slow as you can do it, using a pyrex cup to ladle the water throught the grain. Or just take the grain bag and dunk it in and soak it in the sparge water, one gallon at a time. Collect all the runnungs, add the extract and proceede with the hop schedule.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Quick Reply