Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > All grain to Extract recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2010, 03:08 AM   #11
Beer_Guy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Brew View Post
nope. Mashing is holding the temperature at 150-155 for 45-60 minutes with a precise amount of water. "Sparging" is pouring the water over the grains to "rinse" them.

Well, if you don't want to mash, you can't use Munich malt, two-row, six-row, pilsner malt, biscuit malt, etc.

If you're not willing to do a PM, then you can steep crystal malts and other specialty malts like chocolate.
While I am no “Old Hand”, I have steeped many times and I am VERY willing and eager to do a PM.

In your summary you just said "Check the temperature to make sure it's between 150-158. Cover and let sit for 45 minutes." Ok, so I only left it in for 30 minutes and did not “Sparge.” Point taken.

Question: Do I need to be sure temp stays 150-158* during the 45 minutes?

In reading the other thread titled, "Only use light malt extract", I deduced that ANY grain can be PMed. Not mashing a non-specialty grain will lower the fermentables produced by the mashing process, but add to sweetness, mouth feel, head and lacing. Is that about right?

(I know I steeped some Pilsner grains a while back and the brew did improve on mouth feel, head and lacing. But the smell drove SHMBO out of the house on brew day.)

Like I said, I am no “Old Hand.” I am just trying to learn.

“Anyone can drink beer, but it takes intelligence to enjoy beer.” — Stephen Beaumont

No more recipies for me. My beer MUST be mine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 03:57 PM   #12
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Wrap your pot in a blanket or large towel, that will keep it insulated and allow it to better hold the temps during the mash.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 09-23-2010, 04:28 PM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer_Guy View Post

In your summary you just said "Check the temperature to make sure it's between 150-158. Cover and let sit for 45 minutes." Ok, so I only left it in for 30 minutes and did not “Sparge.” Point taken.

Question: Do I need to be sure temp stays 150-158* during the 45 minutes?

In reading the other thread titled, "Only use light malt extract", I deduced that ANY grain can be PMed. Not mashing a non-specialty grain will lower the fermentables produced by the mashing process, but add to sweetness, mouth feel, head and lacing. Is that about right?
For mashing, the keys are to hold the correct temperature for the entire time, and using the correct amount of water so that you get enzymatic conversion. So, yes, hold the temperature the entire 45 minutes either by turning on the heat under the pot, wrapping the mash tun (I used to use my old bottling bucket!) with a sleeping bag, or stick the works into an oven that is warmed and then turned off.

You can steep any grain, but you won't extract fermentables and may extract starch instead. You will probably have a "starch haze" from steeping base malts.

Quick Reply