Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > airlock not bubbling its been 2 days

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2009, 10:58 PM   #1
WheatbeerPY
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default airlock not bubbling its been 2 days

I have an american wheat from northernbrewer, It hasent done anything its been since sat.This is only my 6th batch but all the others have started in 24 hours or less. The yeast in this kit I havent used before it was safale k-97dry. Should I open it up to see whats up? Help I'm really thirstyy!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2009, 11:05 PM   #2
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Is it in a carboy or bucket?

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 02-02-2009, 11:05 PM   #3
reim0027
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Lack of airlock bubbling does not mean there is no fermentation. Also, it can take up to 72 hours for fermentation to start. I would at least wait that long. But, take it with a grain of salt, you have brewed more batches than I have.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:08 PM   #4
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Check, double, and triple check all your seals to make sure you don't have a leak. If you are 100% positive you don't have a leak, wait until tomorrow, then repitch a properly hydrated yeast.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:52 PM   #5
WheatbeerPY
Recipes 

Its in a bucket, I have 2, 6.5 gal buckets 1, 6 gal carboy and 1, 5gal secondary. They sit on a shelf in my furnace room, it stays a constant 68-70 degrees.I also bottle condition in there.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:57 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Don't repitch UNLESS you have already taken a hydro reading and it has been 72 hours...Read this....

http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/Think_evaluation_before_action/

And relax.

We see threads like this everyday.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-03-2009, 12:02 AM   #7
madcapstudios
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I hear ya man. The anticipation can get to you sometimes. I've got a batch that I brewed up Sunday morning. Because I've had Krauszilla attacks my last to batches, I tried to keep the temperature with this one by putting the fermentation bucket in a tub of water. I've got this bigass blowoff tube attached in anticipation of the bubbling monster but so far... nuthin'. But hey I'm relaxed.

In Primary: Oatmeal Stout, Belgian Wit

Old 02-03-2009, 12:16 AM   #8
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

one of my buckets doesn't seal for nothing, no bubbles come thru at all unless its a very violent ferm. i myself was worried last batch so hydrated a packet of us-05 and was ready to pitch when i opened up i had a full head of krausen so i wasted a packet of yeast

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 02-03-2009, 12:23 AM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktlupus View Post
one of my buckets doesn't seal for nothing, no bubbles come thru at all unless its a very violent ferm. i myself was worried last batch so hydrated a packet of us-05 and was ready to pitch when i opened up i had a full head of krausen so i wasted a packet of yeast
Half of my beers never bubble whether or not it is a carboy or a bucket. The 3 piece airlock is the most fallable of them all, often there is simply not a strong enough escape of co2 to lift the bubbler. S type airlocks are much more reliable...in face I have started to use those old school ones exclusively.

But not because I use the airlock as a reliable gauge..but because it is neat to watch it...

But seriously, guys, girls, lurkers....if you don't equate airlock bubbling with anything other than the venting of excess gas, not a fermentation gauge, and USE YOUR HYDROMETER, you will rest much better.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 02-03-2009 at 12:25 AM.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:04 AM   #10
darkestdays
Recipes 

I don't know what it is, but sometimes my beer will be fermenting, and the airlock will not bubble. I then press on the top of the bucket for a second to make bubbles come out, and then you can slowly see the liquid in the airlock rise, until the co2 escapes, and it will start bubbling again. Just try pressing on the lid of the fermenter lightly, and see if that works.

Quick Reply