The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > AHS Toasted Coconut Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
WhineinAlbany
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default AHS Toasted Coconut Porter

Has anyone tried the AHS Toasted Coconut Porter? The reviews on the site look promising, but I'm curious as to how much coconut the recipe actually calls for. One of the people on the reviews said they had hard time using a 5 gallon secondary without things overflowing (they used 3 1/2 lbs of coconut!). I guess just primary the whole time and add fruit after 2 weeks?

I'm not really sure my grocery store sells unsweetened coconut, but I'll be on the look out for it. The whole idea of a beer tasting like mounds sounds mighty tasty.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 10:35 PM   #2
mountainbrewdude
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm curious too, a local brewery makes a coconut porter that is fing amazing! Been looking at this kit.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:10 PM   #3
Waltzie
Recipes 

I have 10 gallons kegged right now and I love it. I used 6 lbs. of heavily toasted coconut in the secondary and have an almost coconut-bourbon flavor.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:08 PM   #4
SevenFields
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have brewed it and it really is a great recipe.
The coconut does soak up some volume and is hard to get out of the carboy.
I plan on doing it again, but next time I will toast the cocont and put it in a muslin bag and suspend it in the keg.

Tap 1: Galaxy IPA
Tap 2: Bourbon Honey Brown Ale
Primary 1: Centential Blonde
Primary 2: Belgian IPA
Secondary:
Bottled: American Barleywine
On Deck: Torpedo IPA

Old 07-23-2011, 10:20 PM   #5
mountainbrewdude
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Is there any chocolate malt? If so how much, and how much chocolate flavor does it yield?

Old 07-23-2011, 10:27 PM   #6
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 423 Times on 344 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I have made coconut porters (not AHS, just my own recipe) a few times and I think somewhere between 10-16oz of toasted unsweetened coconut in secondary will give you a good coconut flavor without completely dominating the beer.

I cannot imagine putting 3 1/2 lbs into a 5 gallon batch. That sounds like waaay too much to me.

BTW for adding to secondary I highly recommend you use a hops bag and make sure the coconut flakes cannot get out. On my first batch I had a hole in the bag and ended up with a layer of coconut on top and coconut flakes spread throughout the beer that were still showing up every time I drank one.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #7
HotbreakHotel
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I usually use 2 x 14 oz packs of coconut for a 5 gallon batch, but I think I could use more! Next time maybe I'll do 3 or 4 packs. I use the regular sweetened kind from the supermarket and it still comes out good.

I agree it's a big mess racking if you don't put it in a bag or something.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:03 AM   #8
dirtcrab
Recipes 

We brewed the all-grain version of this. It turned out amazing... kudos all around from those we've shared it with. After the "oak chip auto-siphon disaster" of a different batch, we opted to do the secondary of this one in a plastic bucket and put the coconut in a large mesh bag -- no issue with space in the bucket and no coconut clogging the siphon since it was all in a nylon bag and we pulled it out before racking to the bottling bucket (I also think the nylon bag captured a lot of the excess coconut oil). The recipe called for 1 lb toasted coconut, next time I think we will try 1.5 lbs and use some balast to keep the coconut more immersed. Regardless, it came out great... you should definitely make it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhineinAlbany View Post
Has anyone tried the AHS Toasted Coconut Porter? The reviews on the site look promising, but I'm curious as to how much coconut the recipe actually calls for. One of the people on the reviews said they had hard time using a 5 gallon secondary without things overflowing (they used 3 1/2 lbs of coconut!). I guess just primary the whole time and add fruit after 2 weeks?

I'm not really sure my grocery store sells unsweetened coconut, but I'll be on the look out for it. The whole idea of a beer tasting like mounds sounds mighty tasty.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:57 PM   #9
Dr. Francois
Dry Yeast FTW
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm answering a different question than the one you asked, but I've decided that future coconut-flavored beers will be flavored with an extract, not the fruit. To get a noticeable, Mounds-like flavor, you need a LOT of coconut. Or, add a few teaspoons of a quality, natural coconut extract for instant flavor.

No contest in my mind.

Dr. François

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
--Kurt Vonnegut

Quick Reply