Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > AHS Holiday Chocolate Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
skipfab74
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default AHS Holiday Chocolate Stout

Now that my fall beer is bottled, I am thinking ahead to the holidays. Anyone have experience with this kit and with Austin Homebrew in general? I want to make a stout for the winter and this one sounds nice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
FatsSchindee
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Haven done this exact kit; but all the kits I've done have been from AHS (I live in Austin), and I've liked all of them. Currently enjoying their Double Chocolate Stout (with added coffee) in bottles right now...

"All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer."
- Homer Simpson

Old 08-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
butterpants
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I was happy with my purchases from Austin, though if you're a super n00b brewer, I think their extract kit instructions suck. BUT the kit quality and freshness is terrific

Old 08-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
DromJohn
5 Gallon Mini-Mash Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 61

My review at AHS: Comment by John M. P on Sunday 24 October, 2010
Subtle chocolate, subtler spice. If I rebrew, then I might add 1 oz. of chocolate and an AHS Holiday Chocolate Stout Pack.

IOW, it was drinkable and a very good stout, but didn't have enough chocolate and spice for SWMBO.

I'm a fan of AHS kits. They've always been good beer. OTOH, they tend to be a bit light on the spicing.

Drinking: Scaldis Belgian Special Ale; Allagash Grand Cru; AHS Budget IPA; William Moore's Summer Beer; Redhook Double Black Stout III; Chrysanthemum Honey Rye Ale; Cherry Porter; AHS SuperCaliFugglisticESBAledocious; Innis & Gunn Original II; Rafikah Rose's GF Pear Ale.
Bottled: NB La Petite Orange Blanche (first taste 30 August 2014)
Untappd: DromJohn

Quick Reply