New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > AHS Great Divide Raspberry Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
horric29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default AHS Great Divide Raspberry Ale

Anyone out there ever make the AHS Great Divide Raspberry Ale? I'm debating either this or a Rasberry Wheat for the opening of the summer season, IE something my wife can drink. Would I be best to go with raspberry or raspberry puree in the secondary over the raspberry extract? http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=12406

How about the Raspberry Tart...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
wolverinebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I didn't make that one but I did make the Midwest Supplies Raspberry Red Ale last year. It was good.....for a fruit beer. It was for the gf and her friends. They really liked it. She wanted to try that after drinking Darkhorse' Raspberry Red Ale. It was my own concoction.
I only used 1 tablespoon of the extract but I used 2 lbs. of frozen raspberries and almost 2 lbs of black berries. I sanitized with about 1/2 cup of vodka then strained out the liquor and shoved them through the funnel into the carboy for the 3rd week of fermentation. It had a pinkish violet hue and smelled pretty good a week later. I would do that one again but all-grain.

After reading as many fruit beer threads I could, I decided against using much of the extract because people said it tasted like cough syrup. I have no experience with puree. One thing I would caution against, is using fruit with added sugar in it

Within the next day or two, I'm going to bottle up a strawberry blond that I concocted from BM's Centennial Blond. That one contains 3 lbs. frozen Costco strawberries and no extract. It has a very subtle flavor.

Read this one.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f75/requiem-raspberry-56285/index9.html

If you are not in a hurry, then read as much as you can.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:33 PM   #3
mfraier
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Go with the raspberrry wheat, but use US-05 for yeast and only use about half to three quarters of the berry extract. It takes about 2-3 months inthe bottle to really get good. Its not my favorite but the wife and her friends love it......and when mamma's happy.....eeeeverybody is happy.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:24 AM   #4
horric29
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfraier View Post
Go with the raspberrry wheat, but use US-05 for yeast and only use about half to three quarters of the berry extract. It takes about 2-3 months inthe bottle to really get good. Its not my favorite but the wife and her friends love it......and when mamma's happy.....eeeeverybody is happy.
Ain't that the truth... I was talking to a guy at work today who did the AHS hHfeweizen and replaced the extract with Purree and loved it so I might head that route...

Quick Reply