Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > AHS Blue Moon Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2007, 01:25 AM   #11
veggiess
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLynchLtd
Hey all

We just finished a keg of Belgian Wit that we brewed about 4 weeks ago, it was amazing! We actually happened to have some Blue Moon on hand to taste it against, and after drinking our brew I almost couldn't taste the blue moon at all, it was like carbonated water. Ours was full of flavor, nice body, good head, not bitter but still had hop character, prominant orange flavor with the notes of corriander, and was a little higher in ABV than we originally thought 4 weeks of preparation and waiting, and four hours to drink every last drop

3 lbs light DME
2.5 lbs wheat DME
1 oz Hallertaur
1 oz Cascade
1 oz SWEET orange peel (lends to a smoother, less bitter beer)
.75 oz Corriander Seed (cracked)
Safale US 05 dry yeast (Not sure on this, but it was definately safale. We used wyeast liquid belgian wit yeast for the second batch, currently underway)

Yield: 5 gal
Boil Size: 2.5 gal
OG: 1.045 (we think it was probably higher)
FG: 1.012

.5 oz halltertaur @ 60 min, .5 oz hallertaur @ 45 min, .5 oz cascade @ 30 min, 1 oz orange peel and .75 oz corriander @ 15 min, .5 oz cascade @ 5 min. Dumped entire wort into primary with 2 gal of frozen spring water, topped off with room temp spring water, aerated and pitched rehydrated yeast when temp was down to approx 70. Primary for 1 week, secondary 2 weeks, keg 1 week, drunk in four hours

mike
Thanks, Mike, it sounds awesome. I think I'll give it a try. She appreciates good beer so I don't think it will be too flavorful for her. BTW, I am REALLY suprised by your yeast and that it turned out so well. I figured a belgian wit yeast was a given. I am not sure which one I will use since you had such good luck with the safale.

Primary:
Secondary: Newcastle Clone
Bottled: Chocolate Caramel Cappuccino Porter, Vanilla Cream Ale, American Wheat
Party pigs: Hex Nut Brown Ale
Up Next:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2007, 02:26 AM   #12
brewman !
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I brewed a Blue Moon Clone as per the recipe in my sig. Flyguy and I both think it has too much coriander. And maybe not enough orange flavor. Just my $0.02.

Getting back into brewing...

Old 05-22-2007, 11:12 AM   #13
MikeRLynch

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiess
Thanks, Mike, it sounds awesome. I think I'll give it a try. She appreciates good beer so I don't think it will be too flavorful for her. BTW, I am REALLY suprised by your yeast and that it turned out so well. I figured a belgian wit yeast was a given. I am not sure which one I will use since you had such good luck with the safale.
Yeah, the safale was simply inexperiance and inebriation during brewing, so don't hold that as sacred. We brewed up another batch of the stuff with some tweeks to the recipe that same day, and used a smack pack of wyeast belgian wit yeast. We'll see how it goes

thanks for the positive responces BTW!

cheers
mike

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Old 06-16-2007, 08:38 AM   #14
veggiess
Recipes 

Quote:
Hey all

We just finished a keg of Belgian Wit that we brewed about 4 weeks ago, it was amazing! We actually happened to have some Blue Moon on hand to taste it against, and after drinking our brew I almost couldn't taste the blue moon at all, it was like carbonated water. Ours was full of flavor, nice body, good head, not bitter but still had hop character, prominant orange flavor with the notes of corriander, and was a little higher in ABV than we originally thought 4 weeks of preparation and waiting, and four hours to drink every last drop

3 lbs light DME
2.5 lbs wheat DME
1 oz Hallertaur
1 oz Cascade
Safale US 05 dry yeast (Not sure on this, but it was definately safale. We used wyeast liquid belgian wit yeast for the second batch, currently underway)

.5 oz halltertaur @ 60 min, .5 oz hallertaur @ 45 min, .5 oz cascade @ 30 min, 1 oz orange peel and .75 oz corriander @ 15 min, .5 oz cascade @ 5 min. Dumped entire wort into primary with 2 gal of frozen spring water, topped off with room temp spring water, aerated and pitched rehydrated yeast when temp was down to approx 70. Primary for 1 week, secondary 2 weeks, keg 1 week, drunk in four hours

mike
Back to this, again. Does anyone know the IBU of this recipe? Seems a little high for the style but I don't have a program to calculate it. Thanks!

Primary:
Secondary: Newcastle Clone
Bottled: Chocolate Caramel Cappuccino Porter, Vanilla Cream Ale, American Wheat
Party pigs: Hex Nut Brown Ale
Up Next:

Old 06-16-2007, 01:14 PM   #15
Jeff48
Recipes 

Using pellet hops, an American Hallertaur with an alpha of 4.0, Promash calculated 21.8. I substituted Liberty pellets (Alpha 3.8) for the Hallataur and ProMash calculated the IBU at 17.7. Other Halletauers (Mittelfruh and Tradition both have higher alphas) Range for the type is between 10 and 20. I also wanted to try a more floral taste.

Drinking:Blondie's Amer. Ale 3- Pyramid Power Cervezas 3 - Georgie Washington's Vogelkirsche - Breakfast of Champions (Orange Heffe)- Himbeerehefeweizenbier (Raz Heffe)-Erin Go Bragh - Excalibur Stout AG - Moondust (Blue Moon clone)

Prim:
2ndry:Amarillo Blondie 2-PP Cervezas 4
Conditioning:Petey's AG Porter- John Barleywine Must Live

Hops Grown in 08: Magnum, Goldings, Cascade, Centennial

Wine:
Prim.- AUS Shiraz
2ndry- Gewurztraminer - Port
Bottle Aging- Burgeron Blanc

Old 06-16-2007, 02:11 PM   #16
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiess
T-58 in my last wheat and it was excellent.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...roducts_id=262

A specialty ale yeast selected for its estery, somewhat peppery and spicy flavor. It is an good choice for wheat and Belgian-style beers. This yeast forms a solid sediment at the end of secondary fermentation, and is therefore widely used for bottle and cask conditioning. It has excellent performance in beers with alcohol content up to 8.5%, but is able to tolerate high alcohol conditions up to 11.5%.

* Flocculation: Medium
* Attenuation: High
* Ideal Fermentation Temperature: 59-75 F

Old 07-25-2007, 12:28 PM   #17
Jeff48
Recipes 

Default Thanks to MLynchLtd for this recipe

Thanks MLynchLtd

We brewed this about a month and a half ago and named it Moondust.

We used a single pack of Munton's dry yeast for a neutral flavor (see other changes we made in my previous post).

I thought you might like to see how your recipe turned out.....

OG: 1.047 FG: 1.012 ABV: 4.60

Here are my comments:
Color:
At bottling: Gorgeous tan color still very dusky.
Currently: Very pretty light tan to almost golden

Clarity:
Pretty cloudy at bottling..
7/7/07 still slightly cloudy but actually clearer than the usual full wheat.

Head:
7/7/07 No head to speak of decent carbonation
7/21/07 Decent head, low retention.

Flavor:
7/7/07 really nice light orange aftertaste still a bit hoppy
7/15/07 Good bite, and great aftertaste

Mouthfeel:
7/07 slightly thinner than a standard wheat
7/21 no change

Prognosis:
So far the older this gets, the better it gets.

Future plans are to increase the orange peel by about 1/2 ounce or to use fresh orange zest. Next brew I will use either use White Labs Hefe liquid yeast for a more fruity flavor or possibly WL American Ale if I decide that I like the neutrality. The Munton's worked but, I just think it could have been better.

Thanks Again!!!

Drinking:Blondie's Amer. Ale 3- Pyramid Power Cervezas 3 - Georgie Washington's Vogelkirsche - Breakfast of Champions (Orange Heffe)- Himbeerehefeweizenbier (Raz Heffe)-Erin Go Bragh - Excalibur Stout AG - Moondust (Blue Moon clone)

Prim:
2ndry:Amarillo Blondie 2-PP Cervezas 4
Conditioning:Petey's AG Porter- John Barleywine Must Live

Hops Grown in 08: Magnum, Goldings, Cascade, Centennial

Wine:
Prim.- AUS Shiraz
2ndry- Gewurztraminer - Port
Bottle Aging- Burgeron Blanc

Old 07-25-2007, 01:50 PM   #18
brewman !
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 16

My Blue Moon clone turned out excellent. Tons of head, just a tiny bit too much coriander and could use more orange maybe. It was a bit overpowering at first, but it mellowed with age. It was a big hit with several of my friends, who gladly drank it before commercial beers. I have only a few bottles left.

Search my posts for the brewing details.

Getting back into brewing...

Old 07-25-2007, 07:18 PM   #19
bobbydigital
Recipes 

i just got mine in (extract)!!! from ahs... you still need to know?

Old 07-26-2007, 02:03 AM   #20
cguzik
Recipes 

Quote:
Hey all

3 lbs light DME
2.5 lbs wheat DME
1 oz Hallertaur
1 oz Cascade

mike
I brewed a batch based on this recipe at the beginning of June -- a couple days after the second full moon in May, i.e., a blue moon.

It turned out great... I took a 3 gal keg at four weeks to a birthday party and it was a great success -- everybody loved it. My buddy griped about the use of American hops in a Belgian Wit but he did not complain once he tasted it.

At first the orange peel was really strong but after conditioning it has really balanced nicely.

6 lbs. DME White Wheat 60% / Light Malt Extract 40%
1.5 lbs. Flaked Wheat

1 oz. Willamette (Whole, 5.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
0.50 oz. Willamette (Whole, 5.00 %AA) boiled 15 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 5 min.
0.5 oz. Sweet Orange Peel (15 minutes)
0.5 oz. Sweet Orange Peel (1 minute)
0.5 oz. Bitter Orange Peel (15 minutes)
0.5 oz. Bitter Orange Peel (1 minute)

1 tbsp Crushed Coriander Seeds in the last 15 minutes of the boil.
1 tbsp Crushed Coriander Seeds in the last minute of the boil.

Yeast : WYeast 3944 Belgian Witbier

Put wheat flakes into a grain bag. Add 5 gal. of water and bring temperature to 155° F. Turn off heat and let oats steep for 30 min. Remove bag and drain completely. Stir in malt extract and bring to a boil. Total boil is 60 min.

One week in primary, two in secondary.

Chris

Quick Reply