HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > AHS Apocalypso Opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #31
Zixxer10R
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynik View Post
I had a pint of this again today and I think the fruitiness comes out even more now. It's very clean and the pear flavor is faint and the bitterness has mellowed out a lot.
Crisp to the very end Jaynik. Even my keg-kicking foam was crisp and earthy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 02:19 PM   #32
cincybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper74 View Post
I just brewed this kit on Saturday. I pitched 1 quart of slurry (Safale-05) from a wheat summer ale that I had just bottled. I am fermenting in a 6.5 gallon bucket at 68 degrees and it has blown through the airlock three times since yesterday, although it finally seems to be slowing down. I have never had a blowout prior to this in my previous 10 batches. Anyone else had a similar issue? Could it be the malto dextrin (which I have never used before)?
I rehydrated my nottingham and didn't have any issues. Was 68 the ambient or the actual temp? Because from what I've read if it is too warm it will cause a more vigorous fermentation. Could also be because you pitched from a slurry, I've never done that but I would assume a more rapid fermentation.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:39 AM   #33
gleytch
Recipes 

Apocalypso is one of my favorites. In my short brewing career (~40 batches), I've brewed more of it than any single kit. Part of the reason is the price, but the main reason is the flavor. I like APA's and this is a great example of the style. It's simple to brew since it has no steeping grains, but still has plenty of bitterness and flavor for my taste. Mine have had a pretty distinct but not excessive pear flavor. Two batches have been through the "pipeline" (double entendre not an accident :-) ) and I currently have one batch aging in a keg, two batches fermenting and another one in kit form waiting to be brewed.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #34
jaynik
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 12 Posts

Do the kits store well? I would consider buying a few to have on hand if I knew that they would still be "fresh".

Old 08-26-2011, 12:42 PM   #35
cincybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynik View Post
Do the kits store well? I would consider buying a few to have on hand if I knew that they would still be "fresh".
if you are talking about the extract version, it comes with liquid extract so that wouldn't store very well. I'm sure AHS could work something out so you could get it with DME to make it store better. Or just build it yourself. The only other ingredients in it are hops, yeast, and malto dextin, which all those should store easily.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:03 AM   #36
KubelkaMonk
Recipes 

I will be brewing the mini-mash version of Apocalypto in a few days. This will be my fourth batch of homebrew and first kit from AHS.

I only have a 20qt brew pot, so I will be doing a partial boil. I am unsure if I should follow the directions as written and add all of the fermentables at the start of the boil, or should I hold off on adding some of the LME until the end of the boil to maximize hop utilization?

I expect that the fine people at AHS have developed the recipe to produce the desired result when the written instructions are followed. However, I am interested to learn what others have done with the Apocalypto kit and what they might suggest.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:26 AM   #37
Zixxer10R
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

It's literally one malt and one hop. Just follow the instructions. You can experiment on something a little more complex that actually has substance to the recipe.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #38
cincybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zixxer10R View Post
It's literally one malt and one hop. Just follow the instructions. You can experiment on something a little more complex that actually has substance to the recipe.
fyi - it's two hops.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:00 PM   #39
Zixxer10R
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Well whatever. It's been weeks since i finished that keg, i forgot.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:28 PM   #40
cincybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Just wanted to make sure he didn't get confused.

Mine is going on four weeks in the fermenter...just waiting to clear some room in the kegerator.

Quick Reply