Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > AHS Apocalypso Opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2011, 10:09 PM   #21
Conan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I brewed the AG version last week, and my fermenter bubbles smell great- very hoppy. Super simple recipe, as has been mentioned before. I was a little awestruck/ concerned with the single base malt, but everything I'd heard about the beer is positive. We'll see in a couple weeks! Kyle

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 01:26 PM   #22
Zixxer10R
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerandloathinginaustin View Post
I had this at their 20th anni party and thought it was solid. It does showcase the earthy-apple-pear flavors of the hop well. I'm more of an IPA guy but I'd recommend this for anybody looking to get a good feel for Calypso.
This certainly does showcase the hop flavor. At first when it wasn't carbed completely i thought it was still green, but i was mistaken. It turns out the apple-y flavor is part of the profile of the hop if used for flavoring/bittering and not aroma.

As far as the vanilla addition, i'm not sure that would jive well with the apple/pear flavor...unless you've tasted those flavors together before, then, by all means move right on ahead with your idea.

This hobby is all about learning and experimentation!

Old 08-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #23
cincybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zixxer10R View Post
It's good the way i made it, but again, i was after a cheap 5 gallons. If i wanted something more complex i would have altered the grain bill more.

I think AHS had this exact mindset when they created the recipe.
The more I think about it the more I'm thinking I'll just brew it as intended. It'll actually be nice to do a quick and easy brew. That way I can get it done on a week night. Not that steeping grains is hard, but without it the brew process couldn't be any easier. Might not be the best brew but it will allow me to do my pumpkin ale on the weekend.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:27 AM   #24
PurpleJeepXJ
Ah... Leafy Goodness
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Over a month since brew day. Just tried 2 and it tasted of apples and maybe tangerine... with a finish of hot dog water. Probably would be good if I was eating hot dogs.

I support the Sternewirth Privilege... Especially for Home Brewers!!

Old 08-06-2011, 09:16 PM   #25
jaynik
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 13 Posts

I don't get any hot dog water flavor in mine. Doh. My wife just said this is her favorite beer right now.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:57 AM   #26
cincybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I just brewed it tonight but cut the bittering additions by half, especially considering that I did a full boil....rehydrated my yeast for the first time, so hopefully i didnt mess anything up.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #27
Zixxer10R
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Yup, i'd cut the bittering by about a 1/3 personally. What's surprising to me is that this beer holds up nicely as a "working in the garage, but only sipping the beer" drink. The high heat in my garage doesn't affect the flavor negatively.

It's also interesting to note that each time i pull a pint i'm finding somethig new about the complexity i like more and more. It's still needs to tone down the bitter just a tad because it doesn't match the malt texture but every single pint i find something i like about my "Calamity" Ale.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:08 PM   #28
Skipper74
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just brewed this kit on Saturday. I pitched 1 quart of slurry (Safale-05) from a wheat summer ale that I had just bottled. I am fermenting in a 6.5 gallon bucket at 68 degrees and it has blown through the airlock three times since yesterday, although it finally seems to be slowing down. I have never had a blowout prior to this in my previous 10 batches. Anyone else had a similar issue? Could it be the malto dextrin (which I have never used before)?

Last edited by Skipper74; 08-09-2011 at 02:38 PM.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:22 AM   #29
jaynik
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 13 Posts

I had a pint of this again today and I think the fruitiness comes out even more now. It's very clean and the pear flavor is faint and the bitterness has mellowed out a lot.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #30
Zixxer10R
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper74 View Post
I just brewed this kit on Saturday. I pitched 1 quart of slurry (Safale-05) from a wheat summer ale that I had just bottled. I am fermenting in a 6.5 gallon bucket at 68 degrees and it has blown through the airlock three times since yesterday, although it finally seems to be slowing down. I have never had a blowout prior to this in my previous 10 batches. Anyone else had a similar issue? Could it be the malto dextrin (which I have never used before)?
My fermenter filled two 1.75 liter Beam bottles worth of blowoff before the raging storm passed. No idea if the malto has anything to do with it though.

Quick Reply