Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Afflicted by Extract "twang"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
LogicBomb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Afflicted by Extract "twang"

Well, this is frustrating.

I've done everything I can think of to make the best extract possible and I still end up with this malty, syrupy, muddy, muddled, and just "unrefined" taste to all my beers.

I do full boils on a turkey fryer, I've tried both DME and LME, I've done late addition, used campden, I was fermenting at around 65F, different yeasts...

At first I thought it was due to lack of carbonation since my first couple beers didn't carb right. I've moved to kegging now and even carbonated they still taste similar and "meh". What's worse is that the beers sat in the glass fermentors for almost 2-3 months while I was getting the kegging system setup so they shouldn't be green...

A blonde shouldn't taste almost the same as a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone...

I don't know what to do without going all grain.

What's maddening is that I actually brewed a SINGLE beer to date, another blonde, that tasted dynamite. It was clean, crisp, delicious and fully bottle carbed. Did it with LME doing only a single addition (no late addition) and a full boil.

Don't know if there is a solution other than going to all-grain at this point but just had to get it off my chest... so frustrating.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2114 Times on 1851 Posts
Likes Given: 1557

Leaving pale ales & other light beers in the fermenter for a couple months didn't do them a lot of good. won't hurt them,but hop flavors will be gone & a lot of yeast settles out. You should've bottled them while you waited on all the kegging hardware. They would've been fresher tasting.

BridgewaterBrewer Likes This 
Old 11-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Are you steeping grains? To be honest, I would not expect huge differences between extract-only blonde/pale ale (Sierra Nevada) recipes. I would expect you used the same extract (extra light or light), and the same yeast (American ale). Since you "aged" the SN clone, the hops probably dropped out -- unless you dry hopped it.

What water are you using? For full extract with no grains, try RO water.

Look into BIAB, since you can do full boils, you won't need any extra equipment besides the bag.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
BridgewaterBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 116

I was unhappy with my beers until I went to partial mash BIAB. Taste became much deeper/complex. And as said above, don't age a light and/or hoppy beer more than a few weeks.

Quick Reply