Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Aerated Hot Wort

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
tick_daddy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Aerated Hot Wort

Well, like an idiot, I started reading Palmer's "How to Brew" after I put a couple beers into primary. I read that aerating hot wort (above 80 degrees) is not smart and will cause oxidation. I whisked the s&*% out of mine at about 120 degrees. Anything I can do now? Or just wait to drink stale, cardboardy beer?

Fact: Thomas Jefferson wrote the first draft of the Declaration of Independence in a Philadelphia tavern.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You'll be fine. The "hot side aeration" stuff you read about is one of those things that is hotly debated, especially as to if it has any effect on the homebrew level.

When using my wort chiller I slosh it up and down as well as stir the hell out of my kettle to move the beer across the coils, to get the wort cool faster, and start aerating the wort prior to yeast pitcihing, and I've never had an issue.

A lot of those "boogeymen" you read about in How to Brew, like autolysis, and has, are really worst case scenarios that rarely happen to homebrewers despite the boneheaded things we do to beer.

Read this thread What are some of the mistakes you made...where your beer still turned out great!

And you'll see.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
tick_daddy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Thanks, Revvy! I was hoping all was not lost!

Fact: Thomas Jefferson wrote the first draft of the Declaration of Independence in a Philadelphia tavern.

Quick Reply