Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Advice request: Belgian Trippel, sort of

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #11
dcp27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown4 View Post
Just trolling through this morning. Somewhat new to this hobby. Got seven batches done....5 original recipes....and I've had the question for a while. I was under the impression that dextrine carapils was a must for a lot of brews...but you are saying that its already in DME?
yup, already in DME. carapils is never a must tho and is actually rarely ever needed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #12
hogwash
Minimally Exceptional
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefro View Post
Thanks all - will ditch the carapils, though I'm still hoping to use the rest of the amber DME in my cabinet. I don't think I have ever tasted a Belgian Dark Strong, but it does sound quite interesting.

Dark Belgian IPA.. for some reason I have a feeling a strong hop profile would not work well with Trappist yeast. Anyone tried this?
Fair enough, I actually didn't think about the yeast when I said that.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:10 AM   #13
jefro
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default Getting started

After too much work last week, I am finally ordering ingredients. I'm making a few slight changes based on info from this thread (thanks!) and other research as well as availability of ingredients. I have never done a starter before, but I understand the process (thanks John Palmer!) & am ready for the challenge.

I reduced the candi to 1 lb - for the simple reason that it is sold in 1lb increments and this beer is already expensive - and chose clear over amber.

batch size: 5.0gal

5lb light DME
4lb amber DME
1lb clear candi syrup

2oz Kent Goldings, 60m
2oz British Fuggles, 15m

1xWLP500, using a 1/2gal starter

I plan to start it around 70 to make sure it gets moving, then bring it down to 66 or so for a few days, then slowly bring it back up to 70. I will definitely use a blowoff tube, which means I need to wait a week or two until my carboy is free. (How does one do a blowoff tube with a pail?)

Ambient temp where I live is in the low 60s and getting cooler. I brew in an outside closet, so I plan to place the carboy in a large tub and use an aquarium heater to maintain temp.

For what it's worth, my idea of heaven is based on Anderson Valley Brewing Co. Brother David's Tripple Abbey Style Ale (the brewery is close to local for me). I taste a bit of citrus in it, but I'm not ready to go there just yet. I have a dream of doing a vanilla version at some point.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice

Old 09-25-2012, 02:46 PM   #14
dcp27
Recipes 

if you haven't already ordered the ingredients, i wouldnt buy the clear candi. save the money & use sucrose. if you wanna use candi syrup, go with the dark as its a better fit for your malt bill anyway. or make ur own: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/20-l...trient-114837/ or http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/cand...one-d2-220882/

also, i would reduce the fuggles. 2oz is a lot @15mins for something not meant to be hoppy (unless you want it to be, in which case i'd use a diff hop). plus they kinda taste like dirt, which wouldnt meld well with this

unless u have a stirplate, 0.5gal starter is a bit underpitched for this. check mrmalty for proper pitch rates. lastly, I would not pitch @70 and drop to 66. with a beer this big its always best to start a lil lower and let it ramp up. it won;t have any problem starting in the low 60s

Old 09-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #15
jefro
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp27 View Post
if you haven't already ordered the ingredients, i wouldnt buy the clear candi. save the money & use sucrose. if you wanna use candi syrup, go with the dark as its a better fit for your malt bill anyway. or make ur own: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/20-l...trient-114837/ or http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/cand...one-d2-220882/
Interesting! I have a good local source for organic cane sugar - it hadn't occurred to me to do this, but I definitely will.

Quote:
also, i would reduce the fuggles. 2oz is a lot @15mins for something not meant to be hoppy (unless you want it to be, in which case i'd use a diff hop). plus they kinda taste like dirt, which wouldnt meld well with this
Very interesting indeed. I have only used Fuggles once and thought it was very much like Goldings. I don't want the beer to be hoppy at all - I'll reduce to 1oz.

Quote:
unless u have a stirplate, 0.5gal starter is a bit underpitched for this. check mrmalty for proper pitch rates. lastly, I would not pitch @70 and drop to 66. with a beer this big its always best to start a lil lower and let it ramp up. it won;t have any problem starting in the low 60s
Got it - I'll increase that to 1gal, will check with mrmalty, and can definitely start it lower as it is getting cool here already.

thanks!

Old 10-04-2012, 01:29 AM   #16
jefro
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just wanted to post that I found a great article on homemade candi sugar on our very own HBT wiki: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/ind...ke_Candi_Sugar (thanks to Ó Flannagáin, Orfy, Bradsul, and Belgybrewer)

Switched to Willamette from Fuggles, 1.5 lbs of homemade candi, 1 gallon starter with WPL500 and Fermaid K.

If the starter takes off Friday I should be able to brew Sunday, I hope. Should I pitch just the slurry?

Old 10-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #17
rilewedge
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a Belgian triple in my secondary at the moment it also was a bit high in SG 1.095. I doubled the yeast initially pitched and I was wondering if I should add some more? If I do add some more should I add the same WLP530 already used or toss in some WLP715 Champagne yeast? Or should I just let it sit in the secondary for a few months? It's been in secondary for a month-ish now. I was going to add the Champagne yeast a week before I bottled. Is the pre-bottling yest addition necessary? My first Triple and I foolishly keep reading about others woes with them not fully fermenting and not carbonating up in the bottle.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #18
hogwash
Minimally Exceptional
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefro View Post
Just wanted to post that I found a great article on homemade candi sugar on our very own HBT wiki: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/ind...ke_Candi_Sugar (thanks to Ó Flannagáin, Orfy, Bradsul, and Belgybrewer)

Switched to Willamette from Fuggles, 1.5 lbs of homemade candi, 1 gallon starter with WPL500 and Fermaid K.

If the starter takes off Friday I should be able to brew Sunday, I hope. Should I pitch just the slurry?
Yes, just the slurry. So let it ferment out then cold crash it so the yeast settles and decant the starter beer off the top then dump the rest into your cooled wort.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #19
dcp27
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rilewedge View Post
I have a Belgian triple in my secondary at the moment it also was a bit high in SG 1.095. I doubled the yeast initially pitched and I was wondering if I should add some more? If I do add some more should I add the same WLP530 already used or toss in some WLP715 Champagne yeast?
only way to know if you need more yeast is to take a gravity reading. adding champagne yeast won't help, its only really useful for carbing beer as it struggles with the more complex sugars that would be left at this point

Quote:
I was going to add the Champagne yeast a week before I bottled. Is the pre-bottling yest addition necessary?
usually its not necessary unless its been sitting a long time or close to its alcohol tolerance. should be fine without it, but it won't hurt if you already got it

Old 10-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #20
jefro
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Project update:

I made a big starter (1.060) with one vial of WPL500. It took 48 hrs to get going (see http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/sta...8/#post4474791) and never did build up a krausen, just little moving islands of bubbles on top. It happily bubbled for 2 days at about 68 degrees, and now seems to have quieted down. As the week has started now, I may not be able to brew for another 5 days, which opens up some options.

I think I used over half a pound of DME in it (over 2 cups), and I may have miscalculated my original amount - I have 5lbs light DME and probably 2 to 2.5 lbs of amber DME, plus 1.5 lbs of sugar that I plan to invert into candi before starting. That puts my OG down to 1.073 and thus only about 8.2% ABV, still a big beer but not quite a trippel - maybe, as dcp27 mentioned earlier in this thread, a Belgian strong (or dark strong). Or, I could make a quick order to morebeer and obtain some extra-light LME and then brew a real trippel, which sounds very appealing. I'll decide later today.

In any case, now that the starter is winding down I'm going to crash it in the fridge probably starting tonight, and then on the day of brewing I'll decant, warm to room temp, and pitch just the slurry. I have been warned to have at least 1 cup on hand - so if I don't think I can get a full cup, I'll just order another vial. The slurry without crashing looks like maybe 1/2 cup right now.

(Why morebeer instead of LHBS? I don't have a LHBS within 2 hrs drive, and they deliver within 2 days - great shop. And I'm very lucky. If I did have a LHBS I'd be broke by now.)

Quick Reply