Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Advice please.... pumpkin pale ale extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
steve45ca
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Advice please.... pumpkin pale ale extract

i made a pumpkin pale extract and have a decision to make. I used 60 oz of pumpkin puree, spices and a pale ale extract as a base. It's fermented out but i have 4" of trub on the bottom. I expected a little more than normal however now I'm wondering if I should rack into another carboy and top it up up to the 5 gallon mark. I don't want to water it down but if I rack off what i have, I might get 40 bottles.

Whats everyones thoughts? I tried the brew before pitching the yeast after checking the gravity and it was sooo good other than being extra sweet which i fully expected.

I think what I should do is siphon off a bit, and taste it.... if it tastes fine maybe i should rack it into a bottling bucket and bottle as is and take the loss as part of the production. Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
bdupree
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Don't add any water to it. You've got the right idea. 40 great bottles of beer is better than 48 bottles of watered down beer. I don't think you need to rack to a secondary if you let it stay in the primary for 3-4 weeks before bottling.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:09 PM   #3
steve45ca
Recipes 

Thanks BDupree =]

Old 10-15-2011, 11:02 PM   #4
CidCitrus
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 25

+1 on not watering it down. i brewed the thunderstruck pumpkin ale as a 6 gallon batch and used fermcap s so it wouldn't blow off. I ended up with 52 bottles, which is two less than i normally get with 5 gallon batches. Had my first one last night and I'm not regretting the loss of that extra beer.

Quick Reply