Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Adjusting an all-grain with Extract addition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
ohad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Adjusting an all-grain with Extract addition

I made a barley wine recipe using 7kg malt to make 15 liters. I wanted to get to OG=1.100
Unfortunately, I got to only 1.091 with 13 liters.
I want to do some adjustments with some extract, but all I have is Munton Wheat (its 50/50 wheat and barley)
I've calculated that if I add 600g of this LME with 2 liters, I'll get to 15 liters at 1.091. On top of that I want to add 200g of sugar and 200g of "Dibs" (Date syrup - tastes like very dark honey and dark fruit). this should get me to 1.100.

How does this sound to you guys?
I'm afraid its too much wheat LME, I don't want it to be cloudy...

Your opinions please!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2008, 02:24 PM   #2
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

I think in pounds, so allow me to convert. You are considering adding roughly 1.3 pounds of 50/50 wheat LME to your barleywine wort. I do not think you have much to worry about for clarity, especially with the length of time a barleywine conditions. I also do not think you have to worry about that little amount of wheat affecting your flavor and aroma profiles.

That said, though, I hate jury-rigging recipes at the last moment just to reach some target volume and gravity. I would rather forgo the other two liters and work with the wort you got from the mash, adjusting the sugar and date syrup amounts accordingly.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply