Adding a vanilla note to a cream ale...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmurph01

Reaction score
I am getting ready to make my second batch of Cream Ale for 4th of July. I use NB's Cream Ale kit as a base. I would like to make this into a vanilla cream ale. Last time I tried just adding some vanilla extract to this whil ine the secondary, but this gave me an off after taste. I am thinking of just using vanilla beans but not sure the best amount to use or best time to add them.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Cheers!

i would get 1/2 cup of smirnoff vanilla vodka, slice two good size vanilla beans down the middle, then across in 1 inch sections Let it set in the vanilla vodka for a week. Put the whole works in the secondary and rack ale on top and let sit for another couple weeks.

adding a little xylitol or lactose to the vanilla vodka/vanilla bean mix may also help the flavor stand out

I used a vanilla bean sliced lengthwise then cut into large pieces in the secondary. I then added a second bean into a jar with just enough vodka to cover for the 2 weeks that the brew was in the secondary. I added the jar at bottle time pouring it through a fine mesh strainer to get the seeds and pieces out... it was quite tasty

I have used two Madagascar vanilla beans cut open length wise with the insides scooped out. I put them directly into the secondary on an imperial stout 3 gallon batch that sat for two months. Great flavors.

Also try adding the vanilla extract into your priming solution at bottling...you'll boil off any of the alcohol but retain some of the vanilla flavors...

Sometimes less is more with flavorings. I've learned that the hard way many times :)

Also try adding the vanilla extract into your priming solution at bottling...you'll boil off any of the alcohol but retain some of the vanilla flavors...

Sometimes less is more with flavorings. I've learned that the hard way many times :)

This batch will be getting kegged... hehe

Cheers!

Use GOOD vanilla beans. Don't use Brewers Best Vanilla beans. There's a reason they're so cheap. Do like above, slice them open longways.

I tried a Vanilla ale a few batches ago, found that adding the vanilla beans to secondary was easy and had good results. Split a couple beans lengthwise, scrapped inside, chopped into small bits, left in a little vodka a couple hours to sanitize, then pitched. My only regret was I was given advice to limit to only 2-4 days in secondary because vanilla can get strong. I found though the vanilla flavor dissipated quickly. Meaning at time of legging there were good vanilla notes and taste, but were hardly there for the second half of the keg. If I were doing again I would let the vanilla site for a while longer, and let keg set longer too before tapping. At least a week for secondary and maybe keg, maybe longer.

Lesson for me was, whatever you taste at legging, it will relax out over time. It will ultimately come down to your flavor preference, but I hope this helps!

I used the brewers best beans and didn't scrape the vanilla. I found that the first bottles had a def vanilla flavor but later bottles the vanilla flavor mellowed and lent itself to a certain "creaminess" to the brew

tmurph01 said:
I am getting ready to make my second batch of Cream Ale for 4th of July. I use NB's Cream Ale kit as a base. I would like to make this into a vanilla cream ale. Last time I tried just adding some vanilla extract to this whil ine the secondary, but this gave me an off after taste. I am thinking of just using vanilla beans but not sure the best amount to use or best time to add them.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Cheers!

I added 2 Vanilla beans to the last 10 min of my boil. Then added one whole vanilla bean split I to the secondary. Let it condition for 3 weeks while bottled and it turned out perfect. No Vanilla Vodka necessary in my opinion.

Back