Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Adding orange zest

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2013, 02:56 AM   #21
drainbamage
Something something danger zone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 601 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 1078

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivetDriveBrewery
How about adding zest into secondary? I was considering doing 1-2 ounces during boil and then an ounce plus 0.5 oz of citra hops as a dry hop during secondary. Any thougts on how the flavor would differ by adding it into the boil versus secondary versus both? I want a noticable citrus taste but not overwhelming or overpowering.
Packaged bitter/sweet orange peel for brewing might be safe, but I'd be leery of throwing orange zest right off a fresh orange straight into the fermenter without cleaning it. I usually add mine in the last 15 minutes or less of the boil. I'm not sure of the differences of flavor/aroma contributions by doing it that way.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #22
Vman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsyoung View Post
That's a good question...ill be waiting for an answer from someone....
You'd be better off making an extract to add to seconday. Put the zest into a jar, cover it with vodka and let it sit for a week or so. Shake it every once in a while. Strain it with a coffee filter into secondary. You'll get all the taste and none of the infection potential...

As for the earlier comment "wash them well", if you're pitching into the boil for 10 mins, you don't need to worry about contamination. The boil will kill anything that may be on the peel. I would rinse them, you don't want wax or pesticides in your beer.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #23
PrivetDriveBrewery
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

So, it seems like the thought is to do either one or the other. Not put the zest into the boil AND into secondary.

"Beer is good and delicious" - Me

Old 07-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #24
Hawaiibboy
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivetDriveBrewery
So, it seems like the thought is to do either one or the other. Not put the zest into the boil AND into secondary.
I think both would be fine. Just experiment.

As for adding to secondary, if you are using fresh zest make sure to do a vodka infusion. The zest will contain citrus oil. Oil has the potential to reduce head retention. (Think frat boys rubbing their nose with their finger and swirling it in the head of some BMC for beerpong)

Quick Reply