Adding more extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregKelley

Reaction score
I had posted this on another board, so apologies to those that read it.

I made an Edmund Fitzgerald clone. Extract recipe said 4 lbs of DME but upon doing so my SG totally missed their target SG of 1.057 (I had 1.046).

Its 10 days into fermentation. Has anyone added more extract later down the road and how do you do it? I also another 3 lbs of specialy grains. In all honesty, if an extra 1 or 2 lbs of DME won't change the taste, I could live without the extra alcohol this time.

Other thoughts?

That SG sounds high even at 1.046 for 4lbs of DME...assuming it was a 5 gallon batch.

You could add more DME, but you run the risk of coming out with too sweet of a brew.

Post the recipe if you could.

There's certainly nothing in the world to stop you from doing this except common sense and our sage advice...:D

Adding more malt to the secondary is one thing, but did you think about the impact those sugars would have on your hops? AHA! (I heard you say it!)

When you add more malt you have to compensate for the hop bitterness. How do you do that? Good question. Brew another gal of wort? Not likely.

A learned brewer would advise against any additions. Leave the brew alone. Learn what to do better next time...so will I.;)

Good luck.

You could add more, but there are only two ways to miss the gravity on an extract recipe: adding the wrong amount of water or not mixing it enough before taking the sample.

DME runs 36 points per pound per gallon. Four pounds is 144 points, so if you made a three gallon batch your OG would be 1.048. To have an OG of 1.057 would have meant a 2.5 gallon batch.

Dissolve a pound of extract in a pint of boiling water, let it cool and add.

Yeah, completely forgot about the hops and even the taste the specialty grains puts on the brew. I guess I will have to leave it.

I think the recipe probably has enough hops and specialty grains in it. The recipe just was missing part of the main Malt bill. Either a typo or just an omission of LME or DME.

1.046 with just 4 lbs of DME? must be 2.5 Gallons?

You could always add 1 or 2 lbs of Honey. It will add alcohol without much added flavor at all.

Latest posts

Back