Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Adding Malt Extract after boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2006, 04:40 PM   #1
madrean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding Malt Extract after boil

was wondering if you can wait for a boil before you add the ME.

for all my batches (4 so far) i've added the ME to the water after steeping the grains (155F) and then brought it slowly to a nice boil.

Does it really matter?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2006, 04:56 PM   #2
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Some add it late in the boil (like with 20 minutes left I think) to minimize carmelization and keep the beer lighter.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 02-04-2006, 05:04 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

It doesn't really matter, but if you add ME after steeping and before you turn the flame back on, you have much less chance of caramelizing or burning.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-04-2006, 05:04 PM   #4
madrean
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero
Some add it late in the boil (like with 20 minutes left I think) to minimize carmelization and keep the beer lighter.

light beer? why would you want that!?!!?

Old 02-07-2006, 04:32 AM   #5
Fudd
Recipes 

Default Really?

I have always read that you remove the grains before it boils, then wait for it to boil, then add the LME and or DME. Anyone want to comment on that? Cause if I am doing something to the taste by doing this, I should like to know what.

Old 02-07-2006, 05:30 AM   #6
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
was wondering if you can wait for a boil before you add the ME.

for all my batches (4 so far) i've added the ME to the water after steeping the grains (155F) and then brought it slowly to a nice boil.

Does it really matter?
If you add the ME after you have a boil going you have a less likely chance of scoarching it. I bring my kettle to a boil, turn the heat off, add the ME then stir it in real good then bring it back to a boil

Quote:
With the Blonde I have in my secondary right now I did that. Made my brew like normal except added half of the DME at the begining of the boil then the other half with 10 minutes left in the boil. So far so good, tastes fine and am looking at a final SRM I'm guessing of like 4-5.

Old 02-08-2006, 01:37 AM   #7
sheephrdr
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default late

I am no expert but after reading about adding the malt late increases IBU's for 2-4 gallon boils, in my last batch I added malt with only 15-20 mins left in boil. The beer is in bottles right now conditioning so I cant say exactly if I achieved higher bitterness, but my brew was lighter than expected and I had hoped it would be a bit darker to go along with the taste.

Old 02-09-2006, 02:58 AM   #8
leif.
Recipes 

I'm with Pumbaa. After I get a good boil going I move the pot off the active burner and add the ME then return it to the heat after its good and dissolved. I'm trying to avoid the direct contact with the heat and the extract to avoid burning it.

I haven't tried adding it in different parts of the boil yet; maybe I will next time, I haven't tried brewing anything too light yet.

Old 02-12-2006, 10:01 PM   #9
Shambolic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa
With the Blonde I have in my secondary right now I did that. Made my brew like normal except added half of the DME at the begining of the boil then the other half with 10 minutes left in the boil. So far so good, tastes fine and am looking at a final SRM I'm guessing of like 4-5.
Any apparent problems with clarity? I'm thinking about how long it usually takes for the DME in my boil to stop producing foam (coagulated protein)...

Bottled/Drinking:
Common Swill
Stormy Night Porter
Lobrau Amber Ale (Mk. II)
Rain Dog Ale
Quantum Pale Ale

Coming Up:
Maybe a pilsner...
Quantum Pale Ale (Mk. II)

Old 02-13-2006, 12:23 AM   #10
Prost!

Recipes 

Add steeping grains as soon as you turn on the heat. Remove at 170*F, if you reach 170*F before 30 minutes turn heat off and remove grain bag at 30 minute mark. Bring to a boil, turn off heat again and add LME (or DME, or candy sugar), stirring so it doesn't burn on the bottom of your kettle. Then bring to boil again. Add bittering and aroma hops, clarifiers or whatever per recipe. Perfect every time. Don’t reduce the LME! That’s the good stuff, 8 or 9 lbs of it can make a truly great beer.

Kegged: Anglo-American IPA
Kegged: Columbus on the Horizon IPA
Bottled: Belgian Trippel
Bottled: Smoked Scotch Ale
Secondary: Honey Stout
Primary: Irlandés Rojo y Amarillo
Next: Nut Brown Ale

Quick Reply