Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > adding LME the last 20 minutes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2006, 02:35 AM   #21
dantodd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
I boiled hops in water before and the house smelled like we've been smoking weed all day...I'm just glad the cops never came by.
honest mom. I just forgot to add the malt before I started boiling the hops.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2006, 05:37 PM   #22
dougjones31
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I boiled hops in water before and the house smelled like we've been smoking weed all day...I'm just glad the cops never came by.

Why......? You should remember that the next time you want to sit around and smoke weed all day. Put on a pot of water and boil some hops....if the cops come then just let them smell the boiling hops and say that is where the smell is coming from.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:33 PM   #23
Orpheus

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Hmm.. I'm thinking of a new million dollar idea now:

Boiling Hop Scented Air Freshener!

Old 11-01-2006, 08:00 PM   #24
BrewmanBeing
Recipes 

This past weekend I bought a vaccuum sealer appliance and measured and sealed up several pounds of hops I got from Freshhops.com. Me and several friends in assembly line fashion weighing and bagging pounds of bright green plant matter. I wonder what the nighbors would have thought?!?

Old 11-01-2006, 08:34 PM   #25
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1018 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_K
Is that true? I thought you added the same hops as the recipe calls for, and with late extract your utilization is closer to "normal" than with straight concentrated boil? My impression being that without late extract you will typically be getting less of the bittering hops you were hoping for.
I think I got into some trouble with this. An extract recipe kit for a warrior pale ale called for a 2-3 gallon boil and said to add LME after steeping the grains, then add bittering hops.

Well, I did a full boil, steeped the grains, added my hops and waiting until T minus 20 minutes to add the LME. I think I overdosed the bittering two fold because the hop amount was accounting for 2-3 gallons of thick wort when I hopped in low gravity water basically.

I might have to brew a sweet batch and do a sweet/bitter pour (black and tan style) in order to get a balance.
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 11-01-2006, 10:00 PM   #26
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewmanBeing
This past weekend I bought a vaccuum sealer appliance and measured and sealed up several pounds of hops I got from Freshhops.com. Me and several friends in assembly line fashion weighing and bagging pounds of bright green plant matter. I wonder what the nighbors would have thought?!?
I do the same thing...sure looks illegal, huh?

Old 11-02-2006, 12:59 AM   #27
BrewmanBeing
Recipes 

re: vaccuum sealing hops: Is it enough or do I need special oxygen barrier bags?

Old 11-02-2006, 01:09 AM   #28
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

IMO, I don't see any reason because we keep them in the freezer most of the time. HBS get them shipped same as we do. Aren't they going from warm to cold to warm to cold when we get them? Once we split them they stay cold.

Old 11-02-2006, 01:45 AM   #29
BrewmanBeing
Recipes 

Quote:
IMO, I don't see any reason because we keep them in the freezer most of the time. HBS get them shipped same as we do. Aren't they going from warm to cold to warm to cold when we get them? Once we split them they stay cold.
Makes sense. Also, if oxygen were permeating the bags wouldn't they lose their seal? I think vaccum sealed, airtight and frozen is about as good as it gets. I also weighed out and sealed various freshly crushed specialty grains that are in the freezer with the hops. I figure I have a good 5 or so recipes worth of ingredients to choose from and can brew whenever I feel like it now.

How do I store LME? It's in containers filled by the LHBS guy so not sterile. How long until they go bad at room temps?

Old 11-02-2006, 01:48 AM   #30
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

I haven't used LME since '94. Always starts off too dark for the style, unless it's a stout...

Quick Reply