Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > adding LME the last 20 minutes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2006, 03:05 PM   #1
Ol' Grog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default adding LME the last 20 minutes

This come across on another thread, but I've heard about this technique somewhere else. Does adding your LME the last 20 minutes do anything to the brew? Doesn't it need to be boiled for at least an hour? Won't the chemistry be different somehow?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2006, 03:16 PM   #2
dougjones31
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It lets you make lighter colored beer because you do not boil as long. Less boiling time reduces the caramelization(Sp?).

You only really have to boil for a short period of time just to kill any bacteria in the malt extract. I would at least boil the malt extract for 10-15 mins. to make sure it is sanitized.

Old 10-30-2006, 03:17 PM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 105

It'll reduce the caramelization, resulting in a lighter-colored beer. For sanitation, you only need to boil for fifteen or twenty minutes. The other reason for boiling the wort is to get a hot break, but that's less an issue with extract (which I believe has had most of the break removed during the manufacturing process, at least according to the interview I heard recently).

Since your hops will be boiled for most of the time in a lower-gravity wort, utilization will be higher.

I've been doing a late-extract addition to my most recent batches (both partial/mostly-mash). I'm using DME, but the same factors apply to LME.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-30-2006, 03:18 PM   #4
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Grog
This come across on another thread, but I've heard about this technique somewhere else. Does adding your LME the last 20 minutes do anything to the brew? Doesn't it need to be boiled for at least an hour? Won't the chemistry be different somehow?
You really only need to boil the extract long enough to sanitize it, so 15 minutes should be plenty. (Actually, canned extract should already be sanitary, so you technically don't need to boil it at all.... This is the philosophy behind the 'no-boil' pre-hopped extracts - just add water and yeast!)

But... addint the extract late will change a few things:

(1) the beer will be lighter in color. The longer you boil it, the more the sugars caramalize, and the darker it gets.

(2) bittering hops that are put into the kettle before the extract is added will see their utilization will go way up. Hop utilization is a function of the liquid's density; the thicker the liquid, the less utilization.

-walker

Old 10-30-2006, 05:40 PM   #5
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So, it's got nothing to do with the brewing chemical magic? I mean, I can understand hops utilization. But, there is no affect on taste when the LME and hops are boiling around in the pot for about an hour? It's just going to change color? Then why the hour boils with extracts???

Old 10-30-2006, 06:15 PM   #6
dougjones31
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nope....no magical chemical reactions. So to speak. Basically you boil the oils out of the hops. The longer you boil the hops the more bitter they become. That is a magical chemical reaction, you need to use 50% less bittering hops if you add extract late, so that your brew will not be too bitter.

Old 10-30-2006, 06:15 PM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Too bitter? What? Huh? I don't get it - what is this "too bitter" of which you speak?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-30-2006, 06:20 PM   #8
Chris_K

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

For reference, here's the BYO article concerning late extract in a few different forms.
Some chemistry discussion, but maybe not the depth you're looking for.

Bazing!

Walker and the_bird already answered the flavor question. The longer you boil your extract the more caramelization you'll get (a good thing in some beers), but again you're worried about hop utilization, so you'll only be concentrated boiling for darker less hoppy beers.

I can't answer why there's a consistent 60 minute boil on almost every extract recipe. (good question...)

Primary #1-Oatmeal Stout
Primary #2- Empty
Secondary #1- Empty
Kegged- Cream Ale
Someday/ Maybe/ Getting There- 'California Common', Impromptu IPA, Imperial Stout

Old 10-30-2006, 06:22 PM   #9
Chris_K

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjones31
Nope....no magical chemical reactions. So to speak. Basically you boil the oils out of the hops. The longer you boil the hops the more bitter they become. That is a magical chemical reaction, you need to use 50% less bittering hops if you add extract late, so that your brew will not be too bitter.
Is that true? I thought you added the same hops as the recipe calls for, and with late extract your utilization is closer to "normal" than with straight concentrated boil? My impression being that without late extract you will typically be getting less of the bittering hops you were hoping for.
Primary #1-Oatmeal Stout
Primary #2- Empty
Secondary #1- Empty
Kegged- Cream Ale
Someday/ Maybe/ Getting There- 'California Common', Impromptu IPA, Imperial Stout

Old 10-30-2006, 06:30 PM   #10
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Somewhere I read, it might have been that BYO article, that the hops will utilize 75% of their oils within the first 30 minutes of boiling......so YOU know what I was thinking? Cut your 60 minute boils to half! Boil water, toss the hops, with about 10 to go, throw in the LME and the finishing hops. Since your not going to get full utilization of the hops, then adding the LME late, should almost balance out.

Quick Reply