Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Adding LME at different times during the boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #11
mdwmonster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcdowd View Post
So if I add most of my extract at the end, and it causes the boil to cease, shall I just boil longer?
I think that temperature drop is the best reason to add it at flame out, not at 10 or 15 minutes as some suggest. Don't stop a good boil.

Besides, why not put that temperature drop to some good use - like helping to cool the wort after the boil - rather than having it be a "problem"?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2011, 07:45 PM   #12
SDVmnt
Recipes 

On the same token, I let my wort chiller sit in the starsan solution and put it in the boiling wort 10 minutes till end to make certain it's not going to be adding any nasties to the beer. This makes adding wort at the end a bit trickier. Maybe not necesary since i'm already sanitizing it with starsan?

Old 06-22-2011, 08:14 PM   #13
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 194 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwmonster

I think that temperature drop is the best reason to add it at flame out, not at 10 or 15 minutes as some suggest. Don't stop a good boil.

Besides, why not put that temperature drop to some good use - like helping to cool the wort after the boil - rather than having it be a "problem"?
Good point, as long as there is enough heat to kill anything that may get in, right?

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Quick Reply