New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Adding Honey to A NB Cream Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
tme001
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding Honey to A NB Cream Ale

Hey guys, quick question. I'm about to brew a NB Cream Ale extract kit. Two things I had planned on doing: After primary fermentation has slowed down a bit, I planned on adding 2 lbs of Honey to the fermentation to add a light flavor to the beer. Then I planned on racking to secondary (something I normally do not do) to add some sweet orange peel to the brew.

My questions for all of you would be recommended timing. Should I add the honey after primary fermentation has slowed down, or add it to the boil? How much sweet orange peel would you recommend? Any advice and info would be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
dnslater
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I would add at end of boil. This will sterilize the honey but prevent you from boiling off the honey's flavors. Honey has its own wild yeast and needs to be pasteurized.

Edit:I have brewed a honey wheat and this is what the recipe suggested. Also keepin mind honey is a simple sugar and will ferment almost completely, unlike malt, leaving you a dryer beer

Trash Paper Brew Werks

Shirts and stuff

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply