Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Adding grape concentrate to tripel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
joshrosborne
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Muscat grape juice has been used in DFH's Midas Touch since the original recipe found in King Midas' tomb from over 2,700 years ago. Not an ale,not a wine,but some combo of both. There's a thread at the top of the page in one of those forums about it.
Yeah, I actually found it after I made this thread. Some good information in there, for sure.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #12
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 629 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrosborne View Post
Going to let it sit for a couple weeks before pitching onto 1/2 a can (2lbs) of Alexander's sauvignon blanc grape concentrate with a Brett Brux starter made up of the dregs from a four-pack of Green Flash Rayon Vert.
any particular reason you're going to let it sit for a few weeks? no harm, but i'm not sure there is any advantage either. and i wouldn't bother with the brett starter. you'll get more brett characteristics if you pitch low.

i like the brett idea. should be a really tasty brew.

Drinking: a hop-bursted IPA w/ Conan, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: either an imperial stout or something to use up my homegrown hops... TBD.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #13
joshrosborne
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
any particular reason you're going to let it sit for a few weeks? no harm, but i'm not sure there is any advantage either. and i wouldn't bother with the brett starter. you'll get more brett characteristics if you pitch low.

i like the brett idea. should be a really tasty brew.
I was going to see if some of the yeast would flocculate out and settle so I'd end up with less in the secondary. Also, I don't have the Rayon Vert in hand yet. ; ) Need to pick it up this weekend.

So, you're saying just pitch the dregs from the bottles? I can either recap them after drinking and pitch at once or pitch as I finish them. Not sure how much of a difference it would make.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #14
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
I was going to see if some of the yeast would flocculate out and settle so I'd end up with less in the secondary. Also, I don't have the Rayon Vert in hand yet. ; ) Need to pick it up this weekend.

So, you're saying just pitch the dregs from the bottles? I can either recap them after drinking and pitch at once or pitch as I finish them. Not sure how much of a difference it would make.
you'll need to leave the brett in secondary for several months, so the original yeast will have plenty of time to flocc out. the brett will eat the any sacc left behind and their by-products, so getting some into secondary isn't a bad thing. but nothing wrong with leaving it behind, either.

oh right, i forgot that you were pitching bottle dregs. a small starter might be in order, it'll speed things up (but you should still give it 4-6 months in secondary). make the starter weak (~1.020) and small... those poor cells have had it rough, they need a gentle awakening.

Up next: either an imperial stout or something to use up my homegrown hops... TBD.
joshrosborne Likes This 
Old 03-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #15
joshrosborne
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Brief update:

The tripel in primary went from 1.071 down to 1.012 in about a week. Just waiting for the Rayon Vert dreg starter to get some legs under it and I'll be moving to secondary with the grape concentrate.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #16
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Just waiting for the Rayon Vert dreg starter to get some legs under it and I'll be moving to secondary with the grape concentrate.
something just occurred to me... are you adding the grape juice at the same time as the brett in order to feed the brett? if so, don't bother. brett is slow-acting. the sacc will wake up and eat the grape juice long before the brett can at it.

there is plenty in there for the brett to eat - they'll munch on things that the sacc will have left behind. also, you want to stress the brett to get those delicious flavors. give brett a big buffet and they'll get lazy.

joshrosborne Likes This 
Old 03-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #17
joshrosborne
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Ok, so you think I could transfer to secondary now to let the sacc eat the grapes? Then, once the gravity gets back down, pitch the Brett? Not a bad idea, now that I think of it.

With all the input you're providing, I'm going to have to send you a bottle once it's finished (provided it's any good) .

Old 03-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #18
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Ok, so you think I could transfer to secondary now to let the sacc eat the grapes? Then, once the gravity gets back down, pitch the Brett? Not a bad idea, now that I think of it.

With all the input you're providing, I'm going to have to send you a bottle once it's finished (provided it's any good) .
paragraph 1: yup. in fact you would get fastest turn-around by adding the grape juice to primary, but there should be plenty of sacc left to munch through that in secondary.

paragraph 2: i would LOVE to try this, no matter how it turns out. always something to learn from another's hoembrew! (and more often than not, it'll be very tasty )

joshrosborne Likes This 
Old 03-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #19
joshrosborne
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Hmm, maybe I will just add the grape concentrate to the primary. Then the secondary will be a lot more clean and I more than likely won't need a tertiary. Plus I still have the blowoff tubing hooked up from the initial pitch, so I won't have to reinstall when adding the grapes.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #20
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Hmm, maybe I will just add the grape concentrate to the primary. Then the secondary will be a lot more clean and I more than likely need a tertiary. Plus I still have the blowoff tubing hooked up from the initial pitch, so I won't have to reinstall when adding the grapes.
sounds like a good plan.

not sure that you'll need a tertiary. given the amount of time that the beer will spend in secondary, it should be very clear. i'm only on my third batch of brett beer, but so far they have all been crystal clear. brett doesn't make a big sediment/trub so not much concern there. any other reason your are considering a tertiary?

Quick Reply