Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Adding grape concentrate to tripel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
joshrosborne
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default Adding grape concentrate to tripel

Hello folks,

I've been using the search feature and haven't really found a good answer to this question.

I'm interested in adding some grape concentrate (still trying to figure out whether red or white) to a tripel when transferring to secondary and had a few questions.

Say I used this can: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/r.../category/189/

46oz of grape concentrate is 68 brix. If I was originally looking for get to 1.081 OG, 1.012 FG in a 5 gallon batch, how much DME should I leave out to take into account the sugars from the grape concentrate?

How does grape concentrate ferment out compared to DME or table sugar. I was going to use 15% table sugar in the tripel, but could replace some of it with the concentrate if it ferments out at almost 100%.

Any thoughts or experience using grape concentrate in beer? Any help would be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
ZombieBrew83
Made in Detroit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

First off, why are you considering adding grape concentrate to a tripel? Just to experiment? What are you trying to accomplish with this addition?

Nearly all the sugar in the grape juice/concentrate will be simple and should ferment out to nearly 100% so I would treat it like sugar. I've added apricot puree to a batch after visible fermentation had died down. I calculate the amount of sugar in the 40oz of puree from the label indicating the grams of sugar/serving x the number of servings. I then converted that number to lbs. It ended up not being much; something like 0.3 lbs of sugar. I then plugged this number into the recipe calculator at tastybrew.com when putting together the recipe. Use this process to figure out how much sugar you'll be adding.

Since the juice concentrate will ferment out completely, you won't be adding any sweetness to the final product. You will, however, be left with a tart/sour flavor. Imagine the tartness of a grape that is not quite ripe. That's what you'll be getting. My apricot ale took several months to mellow out and let the apricot flavor come through.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:45 AM   #3
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you use it (and why???), you should use the white since the beer is a trippel.

As I understand it 68 brix would have a gravity of around 1.280. This is about 3 pints. If diluted into 5 gallons, it would contribute .021 to the gravity.

By the way, that is equivalent to about 2.4 lbs of table sugar.

It will ferment 100%.

I'm not saying don't use it. Just think about what you are trying to make before you do use it. If you use it, don't use any additional simple sugars.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:49 AM   #4
stevo4361
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I advise against this, a tripel doesn't need grape concentrate.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
joshrosborne
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm using it because I just wanted to try something new. The cake I'm throwing the tripel on was a 7.4% Belgian Pale, which really turned out to be nothing but a tripel. I don't really want to brew the same beer twice in a row, so I was mulling this idea.

My plan was to leave out the table sugar additions (1.5lb) that I was originally going to use and sub the grape concentrate instead (added at secondary). I'm also going to add a Brett starter from the dregs of some Green Flash Rayon Vert bottles at secondary.

FWIW, I actually went with sauvignon blanc concentrate. I'll try to remember to report back in a few months.

Edit: I'm only going to use half of the can in the tripel so as to not get out of control with it. The other half is going to be dumped in a 9 month old lambic.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #6
joshrosborne
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just an short update to this.

Brewed the base tripel on Sunday (1.071), pitched onto a Wyeast 3522 cake (was a Belgian pale ale) on Monday and by Thursday it was down to 1.016. Going to let it sit for a couple weeks before pitching onto 1/2 a can (2lbs) of Alexander's sauvignon blanc grape concentrate with a Brett Brux starter made up of the dregs from a four-pack of Green Flash Rayon Vert.

I'll report back once I have more updates.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrosborne View Post
Just an short update to this.

Brewed the base tripel on Sunday (1.071), pitched onto a Wyeast 3522 cake (was a Belgian pale ale) on Monday and by Thursday it was down to 1.016. Going to let it sit for a couple weeks before pitching onto 1/2 a can (2lbs) of Alexander's sauvignon blanc grape concentrate with a Brett Brux starter made up of the dregs from a four-pack of Green Flash Rayon Vert.

I'll report back once I have more updates.
Skip the update just send me a bottle...I mean:::: I got-a try this...

I think it will be a bit tart and sour like the gent said above...

DPB
Old 03-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
Ezekielsays
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

funny, I've been planning on doing essentially the same thing - hoping to play the sour grape notes off the fruity flavors from the Belgian yeast. I'm doing a three gallon batch as an experiment.

I'm curious about what recipe and yeast you used.

Keep us informed how it goes!

------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by Rcole
Our system isn't broken- we're allowing it to rust out.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #9
joshrosborne
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It was just a simple extract recipe.

6lb Light DME (3lbs late addition)
2lbs Wheat DME (late addition)
1/2lb Carafoam (steep)
1/4lb Belgian Aromatic (steep)
1oz Perle (60 minutes)
1oz Saaz (20 minutes)

I think the Perle was a bit much, so .75oz probably would have been better. I used the wheat DME b/c I had it on hand, but normally would have used all light DME.

Pitched on a Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes cake that was from a Belgian pale ale. Primary in freezer at 72 degrees and will move to carboy with Brett Brux starter and 2lbs sauvignon blanc grape concentrate in a couple of weeks.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1854 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 1328

Muscat grape juice has been used in DFH's Midas Touch since the original recipe found in King Midas' tomb from over 2,700 years ago. Not an ale,not a wine,but some combo of both. There's a thread at the top of the page in one of those forums about it.

Quick Reply