HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Adding Extract at end of the boil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
C17-EHSE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Adding Extract at end of the boil

I'm looking for new recipe and have looked at several styles. A couple of them said to had half or most extract at the beginning of the boil and then add the rest 30 minutes or 15 minutes from the end of the boil.

My question is why? What are the benefits of adding extract toward the end of the boil. One specific recipe was an Irish Red, the other, a stout.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2011, 06:48 PM   #2
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 3

lighter color, and supposedly less extract 'twang'. its supposed to improve hop utilization too, but thats kinda up for debate

Old 07-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
hamiltont
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

As mentioned above ^^^^^ plus when I did extracts adding 1/2 near the end gave me a little more wiggle room in the pot with the hot break since some of the volume had boiled off. Cheers!!!

If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Old 07-11-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
gtlaw10
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

one of the greatest benefits to not adding all of the extract at the beginning of the boil is to retain as much of the proteins that aid in body and head. i've recently made the mistake (for me at least) of boiling all the extract for the whole hour, i had the usual hot break(s) with boil-over(s). the end product was a headless, coke/pepsi-looking, porter.
you can boil all of the extract for the duration specified if you want, late addition can be annoying when you have to wait for the wort to boil again essentially extending the 60 mins to more like 70 or 80 depending on if you add with 15 or 10 minutes left.
IMHO late addition is very worth it, every beer i've done that way has always had spectacular head retention and full body.
check out this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/fizzy-beer-no-head-219847/

happy brewing!!

On Deck ~ filthy mongrel;
Bottled ~ Abbot 12 - belgian dark strong; duesseldorf alt; honey nut brown; zombie puke - ABA; maori warrior - NZIPA

Creamy,thick,velvety head. - unionrdr

Old 07-12-2011, 04:22 AM   #5
C17-EHSE
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK, I'll try that my next brew! Thanks all!

Old 07-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #6
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones

Recipes 

Liked 1656 Times on 1462 Posts
Likes Given: 1129

Some of us (me included),add the remaining malt at flame out. The boiling hot wort is still plenty hot enough to sanitize the late additions.I do that,& get great head & retention. Plus lighter color than I would otherwise. No caramelization,etc either.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
jjbuckler
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Yep, I usually add 1/3-1/2 my extract right at the end of the boil. Never had a problem. Definitely helps with hop utilization, and color. Hadn't thought about the head retention help, but I can see how that might be.
Cheers.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
nefarious_1_
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I too enjoy the benefits of a late addition.

Just be sure to account for the difference in hop utilization. Utilization is dependent on the gravity of the boiling wort, so your pre-addition boil will utilize differently than your post-addition boil.

You can use some brewing software to help calculate the differences or check out some hop ultilization charts online. Palmer has a utilization formula in "How to Brew" and Papazian has a few charts in his book as well.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #9
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones

Recipes 

Liked 1656 Times on 1462 Posts
Likes Given: 1129

From conversations on here,it seems that a lighter wort gives better utilization than a heavy one at the start of the boil. I tried using half of the 3lb bag of plain DME for my hop additions. It works better than a hop tea in the BK for the 1st 15 minutes. It's pretty good too,but the 1.5lbs of DME in the boil for 3-4 hop additions works well,getting the hop flavors "on the back",with interesting nuances with the malt profile right before that,"in the middle".
So,adding late malt additions is said to have merit for that as well. Works for me,anyway.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #10
dabull25
Recipes 

When adding the ME towards the end of the boil, do you add on extra time at the end since you take the pot off of the heat and it takes a minute or two to bring it back up to boil to reach 60 minutes on the boil?

Quick Reply