Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Adding DME after steeping but before boiling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
jwic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding DME after steeping but before boiling

I use DME because it's easy to store and measure out at brew time. I, however, HATE how DME clumps at the edge of the bag because of the steam rising off the boil. I've even tried adding the DME after the boil and - again, because of the steam - it still clumps at the edge of the bag.

So, I'm wondering: is there a problem with adding the DME after the grains have steeped but before bringing the wort up to a boil for the hop additions?

I did read one post which said that adding all ME at the beginning of the boil burns off all the proteins related to head retention. Any other problems adding all DME pre-boil?

Cheers,
JWiC

T: @CHAOSBrewClub
F: facebook.com/CHAOSBrewClub

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I haven't heard the head retention thing. I think in How to Brew, Palmer gives an example batch using DME in which he adds it early, before the boil, for the same reasons you want to. But I may be misremembering and can't find it in the online book.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

No problems at all. I usually pour the DME out into a big bowl, then dump it in as the water is heating, if any of it clumps to the bowl, just rinse it gently as to collect the water in the bowl, then pour it into the pot. I do this more so to avoid having to remove the pot as it begins to boil, add the DME then babysit it for a boilover. It helps getting the adding DME, aproaching boil, avoiding hot break mess done in one step

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Old 07-15-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
jwic
Recipes 

Excellent. Thanks for the replies! Just wanted to make sure it wasn't some crack-pot idea...

T: @CHAOSBrewClub
F: facebook.com/CHAOSBrewClub

Old 07-15-2011, 03:51 PM   #5
nefarious_1_
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwic View Post
I use DME because it's easy to store and measure out at brew time. I, however, HATE how DME clumps at the edge of the bag because of the steam rising off the boil. I've even tried adding the DME after the boil and - again, because of the steam - it still clumps at the edge of the bag.

So, I'm wondering: is there a problem with adding the DME after the grains have steeped but before bringing the wort up to a boil for the hop additions?

I did read one post which said that adding all ME at the beginning of the boil burns off all the proteins related to head retention. Any other problems adding all DME pre-boil?

Cheers,
JWiC

Hah, I feel your frustration there with the clumping. I usually just dunk the top of the bag into the water until the extract dissolves, or if I had to measure it in a bowl I dunk the bowl.

I've definitely read discussions regarding head retention and full extract addition at the beginning of the boil. It's my understanding that the late addition allows some protein to remain in the beer, improving body and head retention. I highly doubt adding the extract just a few minutes before the boil will cause much variation. The head retention and body improvement mostly applies to late extract additions.

I'm sure someone else will be on here in a minute to fully explain.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1911 Times on 1682 Posts
Likes Given: 1415

Adding all the malt at the beginning will darken the beer some,not to mention when it caramelizes,it changes the flavor a little as well. No sense boiling something that's already been through it all.
Having said that,Using half the DME in the boil to do hop additions,helps utilization of the hop oils,do to a lighter gravity wort. But my wife did one with steeping grains,& got through the crazy hot break before adding the DME's. She saved the LME's for the end. That keeps them from caramelizing.
I've even gotten small protein breaks with DME in the boil,along with the mini hot break. I just deal with the clumping,I don't think there is a way to avoid it. I think the late addition does have some effect on head retention/quality. But I think bulk priming has a lot to do wit aiding that,since it seems to be better than bottle priming. It gives finer bubbles,thereby giving a finer head. They seem to go hand in hand.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #7
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I always add malt extract after steeping. Always. Some people will add some at the start and some at the end which is called late extract addition.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i have no evidence to disprove it, but the late addition effecting head retention makes no sense to me. if it were true, then extended boil AG beers would have poor head/body which just isn't true.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:51 PM   #9
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1911 Times on 1682 Posts
Likes Given: 1415

It seems like it has something to do with not getting too much of the proteins settling out. The method I described works for me. Just trying to explain it. I'm not so much a tech head brewer,just learn what works & what doesn't.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:25 PM   #10
hairy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As all other DME users, I also have this frustration of having the damn thing stuck and clamped together.

To go around this problem, I have added in the DME before the heating up of the brewpot and water. You will see the hot protein break which you won't normally see if you do not boil the DME. As for head retention, I have never got such issues. I don't think the boiling harms it in anyway.

Quick Reply