Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > adding dextrose to IPA to boost abv?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2011, 04:52 PM   #1
dareibreathe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default adding dextrose to IPA to boost abv?

I'm Brewing a belgian IPA today and have a bunch of extra dextrose. would adding a pound or so late in the boil boost the abv?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
Psych
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Yep, it sure would. Maybe 1/2% or so per pound, depending on your batch size (ballparking for a 5g batch size).

It may also dry out the final product a bit.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2306 Times on 2007 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

That's the thing to watch out for. You don't want to dry out a beer that already has some of those qualities from all the hops used. Hops lend a certain astringency,which originally was intended as a preservative.
So one can play against the other.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
Chefencore
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Uh oh, look out for revvy

"What do you use to weigh down your hop spider?"

"Hops..."

Old 11-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
That's the thing to watch out for. You don't want to dry out a beer that already has some of those qualities from all the hops used. Hops lend a certain astringency,which originally was intended as a preservative.
So one can play against the other.
huh? astringency adds no preservative qualities. its a mouthfeel thing. did you mean antiseptic?

also, its an ipa, you most certainly want to dry it out, even moreso in a belgian one. id definitely add 1lb or so

Old 11-14-2011, 06:05 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp27 View Post
huh? astringency adds no preservative qualities. its a mouthfeel thing. did you mean antiseptic?

also, its an ipa, you most certainly want to dry it out, even moreso in a belgian one. id definitely add 1lb or so
I knew what I meant when I came in here,man. But yeah,in medieval times,it kept the beer from spoiling as fast what with all the time it took to get from point A to B. Read it on germenbeerinstitute.com.
But I thought Belgians had bigger malt profiles?...

Old 11-14-2011, 06:15 PM   #7
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
I knew what I meant when I came in here,man. But yeah,in medieval times,it kept the beer from spoiling as fast what with all the time it took to get from point A to B. Read it on germenbeerinstitute.com.
But I thought Belgians had bigger malt profiles?...
oh they definitely were used as a preservative, and still are today. its where IPAs came from.

belgians do have big malt profiles, but sugar is a key component (10-20%) in almost every belgian style.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:20 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

I know they use candy sugar in Belgians. I wonder how much the type of sugar in that case would matter? And yeah,English brewers made the IPA's with enough hops for the voyage around the horn to the troops in India before loosing too much hop profile,& thus,the ale.
I'm finding that I want some little malt backbone in my IPA's. Too dry,& it's just another hop bomb. Not true to the original style. Big hops,sure,but big malt profile too. As I understand old info on various lists revvy posted.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:45 PM   #9
pericles
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm actually not sure that adding sugar will "dry out" a beer, if you aren't affecting the grain-bill otherwise.

Sugar is sometimes said to "dry out" a beer because the sugar won't add sweetness, but it will contribute to ABV. Thus, you can "dry out" a recipe you think is too sweet by substituting some of the grains with sugar: you'll be removing the sweetness in the beer without affecting the ABV, resulting in a dryer finished product.

Adding sugar, on the other hand, will boost the ABV without decreasing the sweetness. If anything, adding sugar can have the effect of inhibiting the fermentation of maltose, resulting in an even SWEETER beer. (This happens when there is A LOT of sugar added at the beginning of the ferment: yeast lose the ability to consume maltose in the presence of simple sugars after just a few generations.)

So, long-story short: I think adding your dextrose is a fine idea, don't worry about it.

Kegged: American Wheat
Bottled: Belgian Golden Ale.
Planning: American Amber

Old 11-15-2011, 02:59 PM   #10
Andyy
Recipes 

I find that when adding say 1kg or 2lb to a extract brew, it makes the end result sweeter. I use more malts and little dextrose.

Quick Reply