Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > 5 gal. or 3 gal. boil better?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2008, 02:58 AM   #1
The Govna
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default 5 gal. or 3 gal. boil better?

I recently purchased a 36 qt. aluminum turkey fryer. So, I have enough room to boil all 5 gallons of wort. Is it better to boil all 5 gallons or boil only 3 and add water at the end?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2008, 03:14 AM   #2
Reno Homebrewer

Recipes 

The closer you can get to a full boil, the better. You will get better Hop utilization, and the Wort won't caramalize as easily.

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Belgian Dubbel, American Pale Ale, Irish Red Ale (Yeast Fuel experiment), Doppel Bock
Up Next: Brown Ale

Old 07-04-2008, 04:04 AM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno Homebrewer View Post
The closer you can get to a full boil, the better. You will get better Hop utilization, and the Wort won't caramalize as easily.
...that is unless you do small boils, use fewer hops, and use the late addition method...you won't carmelize that way either...BUT with a full boil you will need a wort chiller...

Old 07-04-2008, 04:13 AM   #4
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

Extract brewers also often use kits, and the increased hop utilization can throw off the kit recipe. I have one more extract kit left, and I'll probably do a 3 gal boil even though I could do a full boil. It also saves propane.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 07-04-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
The Govna
Recipes 

I have a chiller and I've never used a kit, so sounds like the consensus is 5 gal. boil, huh?

Old 07-04-2008, 02:28 PM   #6
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Govna View Post
I have a chiller and I've never used a kit, so sounds like the consensus is 5 gal. boil, huh?
I'm not getting that from the replies so far, and there are tons of other issues - but if you got a nine gallon boiler and you have a chiller, then you might as well use them and see how things turn out.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:51 PM   #7
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 396 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Just a heads up, this time of year in most parts of the country, the tap water is running warmer and a chiller alone will not bring you to pitching temps. For example...if the tap is running at say 70, the chiller will bring you in to the 90's. I usually ice bath the kettle once the chiller loses effectiveness.

You could boil and chill 4 w/ the chiller, and then add a gallon of pre-boiled and chilled / frozen water, or boil all and ice the kettle, it's really up to you.

Mike

Old 07-04-2008, 03:16 PM   #8
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
Just a heads up, this time of year in most parts of the country, the tap water is running warmer and a chiller alone will not bring you to pitching temps. For example...if the tap is running at say 70, the chiller will bring you in to the 90's. I usually ice bath the kettle once the chiller loses effectiveness.

You could boil and chill 4 w/ the chiller, and then add a gallon of pre-boiled and chilled / frozen water, or boil all and ice the kettle, it's really up to you.

Mike
Maybe true with an IC but my CFC chills to the temp of the tap with even low tap flow.
On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 07-04-2008, 04:18 PM   #9
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 11

There really should be very little difference between a partial and a full boil if you use the late extract addition method - what you want to do is boil at about the OG of the beer (i.e. if your expected OG is 1.048, add just enough extract to reach 1.048 for the boil, then add the rest of the extract 5 minutes or so before the end of the boil). If you're picky, adjust for evaporation. This way, you get identical wort utilization and avoid caramelization of the extract.

Ultimately, it's a matter of preference. If you have the ability to do both, just go with what's easier or with what tastes better to you.

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 07-04-2008, 06:22 PM   #10
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneXor View Post
There really should be very little difference between a partial and a full boil if you use the late extract addition method - what you want to do is boil at about the OG of the beer (i.e. if your expected OG is 1.048, add just enough extract to reach 1.048 for the boil, then add the rest of the extract 5 minutes or so before the end of the boil). If you're picky, adjust for evaporation. This way, you get identical wort utilization and avoid caramelization of the extract.

Ultimately, it's a matter of preference. If you have the ability to do both, just go with what's easier or with what tastes better to you.
I agree!!!

Quick Reply