Come enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > 32 Hours And No Airlock Activity

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2007, 01:51 PM   #1
BNVince
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 32 Hours And No Airlock Activity

Ho hum. I'm starting to get nervous. Here is the recipe I used:

6lbs Wheat Malt Extract
1lb Light DME
.5lb Carapils
1oz Tettnanger Pellet Hops
WhiteLabs Hefeweizen Pitchable Yeast

I got the kit from midwestsupplies. The yeast tube was warm when I received it from sitting on the truck all weekend. I let it cool down to room temperature before pitching to the wort which was 75 degrees. Before I pitched it, I shook up the tube real good and when I opened it it fizzed real bad. I took this as a good sign. I shook up the fermenter a little to try and aerate it a little but in hind sight I don't think it did much.

I had the fermenter in my kitchen which is around 70 degrees all the time. This morning I noticed that one of the air vents was near the fermenter so maybe it was colder then it should be. I moved it to the basement where it's a tad bit warmer.

Hoping for activity when I get home.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2007, 02:17 PM   #2
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

hmm it sounds to me like you did everything right. I made almost that exact same recipe a couple weeks ago, except I used dry yeast ( WPL320 ) that I rehydrated in a teacup while I was cooking. I cooked and pitched about 10:00 pm and the airlock was bubbling furiously the next morning at 5:00 when I got up and left for work. That night when I got home, the airlock had blown off and there was a mess all over the bathtub where I keep my fermenter.

32 hours with no activity seems like an awfully long time, to me but I wouldn't worry about it too much. If theres no activity by tonight you can always just pitch some more yeast.

As I understand things, wheat beer and Hefeweizen yeast start up pretty quickly. Might pick up some more yeast on the way home just incase its not started, maybe wouldn't hurt to make a starter this time.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:19 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

In the future...big starters are your friend!

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 08-03-2007, 02:30 PM   #4
BNVince
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated1
Might pick up some more yeast on the way home just incase its not started, maybe wouldn't hurt to make a starter this time.
Yeah I wish I could but their are no homebrew shops around here. I would have to order it off the internet and I probably wouldn't get it until some time next weeks which means the wort would have been sitting there for almost a week.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:30 PM   #5
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Is there no airlock activity, or no activity at all? Bubbles in the airlock are not the only sign of fermentation and they are the least reliable as any little leak in the fermenter's seal will prevent the bubbling.

If you are using a plastic bucket, pop the top and see if there are any signs of krausen. If not, buy some more yeast and repitch. If there is, then you have fermentation and need not worry about the lack of bubbles in the airlock.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 08-03-2007, 02:32 PM   #6
BNVince
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJadedDog
If you are using a plastic bucket, pop the top and see if there are any signs of krausen. If not, buy some more yeast and repitch. If there is, then you have fermentation and need not worry about the lack of bubbles in the airlock.
I'll take a look when I get home. By the way, how is good old P-Town. I went to Johnson and Wales there. Tell the Wickendan Pub I miss it.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:33 PM   #7
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Also, if you are using a bucket, make sure the lid is on tight...pressing on it should make your airlock bubble. It is possible that if you have a slight leak you would not get airlock activity until very vigorous feremtnation starts.

Also, if you look aorund you might find someone from here that is near you or a homebrew club that could give you some yeast. If you have to reorder, choose somewhere closer, they can get you the yeast faster. Check http://www.ebrew.com and http://www.listermann.com/ or http://www.home-brew.com they might be able to get you yeast in a day with reasonable shipping charges.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:44 PM   #8
BNVince
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific
Also, if you are using a bucket, make sure the lid is on tight...pressing on it should make your airlock bubble. It is possible that if you have a slight leak you would not get airlock activity until very vigorous feremtnation starts.
Yeah the lid is on tight and pressing on it does make the airlock bubble. Their is a brewery in Atlantic City, which is near me, but I doubt they would sell me some yeast if they even have a hefeweizen yeast.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:53 PM   #9
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just because you pushed on the lid and got bubbles doesn't mean you have a small leak that won't show in your airlock (been there, done that). Do you visually see any activity on top of the wort? Give it a quick stir and look and listen.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:53 PM   #10
ohiodad

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNVince
Yeah the lid is on tight and pressing on it does make the airlock bubble. Their is a brewery in Atlantic City, which is near me, but I doubt they would sell me some yeast if they even have a hefeweizen yeast.
If your lid is puffed up I wouldn't worry.. That airlock will be bubbling soon... I think if you pitched the WL yeast right in the wort you are going to have some lag time.. Give it another day..

Quick Reply