The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > 20 mins into my 115th Hopdream IIPA!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2010, 08:54 PM   #81
bootney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

As I said in post #74 I was going to brew this one up doing all grain, and I planned to do it that weekend but it has been delayed until this weekend. I made a 1230 mL starter yesterday with two packs of wy 1272, using a stir plate, and plan to let that work at 68-70 degrees for 3 days.

I think I asked earlier if those of you that had trouble with this one had made a starter for it? I didn't see any replies.

Last edited by bootney; 09-22-2010 at 08:55 PM. Reason: grammar

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2010, 07:04 PM   #82
boater29
Recipes 

Default In the keg

I just kegged mine. Tastes very good so far but I can't wait until it's cold and carbonated!

Captain Chuck
www.beershirtz.com

Old 09-25-2010, 10:58 PM   #83
bootney
Recipes 

Let me know how it turns out boater. I'll be brewing mine up tomorrow morning, and looking forward to the challenge. How did you transfer yours to primary?

Old 09-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #84
boater29
Recipes 

There was a boatload of hops at the bottom. I racked it using my siphon but it got clogged several times. I think I'll look into one of those hop filters for the brewpot.

Good luck!
www.beershirtz.com

Old 09-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #85
bootney
Recipes 

Well I just finished mine up and for the most part t went well, but I over estimated water loss and absorption and ended up with a starting gravity of 1.069 which is somewhat disappointing. I also feel my low gravity is due to my MLT's dead space.

I ended up pouring mine through a strainer, and still ended up with a great deal of hops in the primary. It almost takes up a gallon worth of space. I'll try this one again next month but I need to decrease my water amounts to boost the starting gravity.

Last edited by bootney; 09-26-2010 at 09:53 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 10-23-2010, 03:51 AM   #86
bootney
Recipes 

Here's another update almost a month post brew.

Today was bottle day for me, but over the past few weeks I've learned that my starting gravity was not that far off. Apparently I did a poor job of mixing the late corn sugar addition which lowered my estimated gravity. Individuals that have brewed this one up felt that it was more like DFH's 90 Min IPA, but after tasting a non carbed version of it, it seems to match SN's Torpedo taste and nose IMO. Either or thus far it's a great brew even without the carb, and feel it should be ready to go in a couple of weeks. No aging on this one. I'll be back in two weeks to update.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:27 PM   #87
boater29
Recipes 

Mine has been kegged and carbonated and surprisingly, tastes like 90 Min IPA. Seems very malty for all the Hops I added.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:59 PM   #88
Sheldon
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default 115 dream

put mine into secondary over the past weekend. lots of trub on bottom, but still have almost 5 gal. It will be hard to let it six for the 4 weeks NB recommends, but I have been able to do it before. I did the AHS Pliny clone, using AG method and it was awesome even though I missed the OG and FG by a fair amount.

Cheers,

Sheldon

Old 11-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #89
bootney
Recipes 

Alright so here I am with another update. I bottled this batch on the 23rd of October, and here I am 3 weeks later to tell you this beer is simply awesome. Initially I said it was like SN Torpedo, but the samples I had were straight from primary. Three weeks later I feel this beer turned out very similar to Bell's Hopslam in terms of yeast contribution. I used Wyeast American Ale II with fermentation temps set at a constant 60 degrees ambiant and the citrus flavor is beyond awesome. I want to also mention I did this same batch again but I had the fermentation temps higher to see how much the yeast would change the complexity of this beer. I know quite a few people had carb issues which I feel was due to improper pitching rates, but I went with a .9 oz of cane sugar to gallon ratio for priming and it turned out perfect. It did need three weeks to get to this point. i tried one at 1 week just for the hell of it, and it was not ready.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:15 PM   #90
whiskey_pickle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Any updates on this kit? I just ordered one from NB and plan on starting it this coming weekend and would appreciate any "further" tips. Looking at the previous 8 pages, I think I am also going to be building a "hop hanger" for the boil. Anyone use this device with a pound of hops yet?

If you plant ice you're gonna harvest the wind.

Quick Reply