Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > 1st Lager underway....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2007, 02:53 AM   #1
GIusedtoBe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default 1st Lager underway....

At least I hope so. I pitched a pretty big starter. It's a Pilsner Urquell from AHBS that I could'nt resist throwing a cup of extra DME in so it came out at 1.054.

The instructions say ferment for 10 days and then warm up for 2 days for a diacetyl rest and then lager at 40 F for 3-4 weeks.

I've read that these lagers should ferment for 2-3 weeks and then lager at lower temps around 35 F.

What say you lager experts?

BTW Yooper Chick or the poster formerly known as "Yooper Chick", I pitched a ferment temp starter to a ferment temp wort just like you said so I'll blame you if this thing does'nt work out.

Anyway I'm just thrilled to be brewing a lager but it will stink if it does'nt turn out. Waiting two months for crappy beer is not my idea of fun.

Regards,
Al

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2007, 04:08 AM   #2
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have my 5L starter going for my first lager this weekend and have just started to research what times and temp to use myself.

John Palmer on Lager

Old 10-06-2007, 04:49 AM   #3
pete3
Recipes 

is a oatmeal stout a lager?

Old 10-06-2007, 04:51 AM   #4
GIusedtoBe
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete3
is a oatmeal stout a lager?

Naw! Stouts are ales.

Al

Old 10-06-2007, 12:54 PM   #5
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I'm just now drinking my first two lagers, an Oktoberfest and a Vienna Lager, and they came out great (IMHO).

I would advise taking specific gravity readings to determine when to begin the diacetyl rest instead of a specific number of days. I started my rests when they were both within about 4-5 points of their expected terminal gravity. The rest lasted 3-4 days, I think, then I brought them down to about 40 deg. F., racked into kegs, then conditioned at 34 deg. F. for about 5 weeks.

By doing the diacetyl rest close to the end of fermentation, you are ensuring a complete fermentation (as well as reduction of diacetyl) before lagering, so you don't need to do a lagering at 40... just go right to 34. I only paused at 40 so I could rack into kegs.

They taste great. Will be drinking a bunch of them today at my alma mater's homecoming!

Hope this helps, even though I am not a lager expert! I read various sources, and how I conducted everything was based on my best understanding.

-Steve

Quick Reply