The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > 1st brew/ Caribou Slobber

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2013, 12:55 AM   #1
hey4q2pal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default 1st brew/ Caribou Slobber

My 1st brew is NB Caribou Slobber extract kit. Hit my OG at 1052 and a week later I'm at 1019. Should I let it set another week before transferring it to 2ndary? I'm getting antsy after tasting it today Going to transfer it on top of a vanilla bean sitting in about 2oz vanilla vodka for a light vanilla flavor. Then two weeks later I'm kegging it. Should I wait one more week b4 2ndary? Suggestions will be greatly appreciated. BTW I love HBT!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 01:00 AM   #2
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2640 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 290

Why do you feel that you need to secondary? Just put the vanilla in now, and in a week it will be done and you can bottle it.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:56 AM   #3
hey4q2pal
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber
Why do you feel that you need to secondary? Just put the vanilla in now, and in a week it will be done and you can bottle it.
I am worried leaving it on the trub might impart some off flavors. My noob mistake was pitching at mid/high 70s temp. I was over zealous and pitched the dry yeast as soon as I poured it into the fermenter. Figured out my mistake when I read the yeast directions a few hrs later, co I crashed it to 64 in the fridge quickly. I jet don't want any weird flavors from sitting on the trub and the recipe calls for a 2ndary. I added the vanilla step on my own and figure it will need to sit a while to pick up flavor and aroma. How long I don't know.

on tap:
KEG#1: Island Hopper IPA
KEG#2: Jamil's Chocolate Hazelnut Porter
KEG#3: Empty :(
PRIMARY: Empty
SECONDARY: Sierra Nevada Clone

Old 04-16-2013, 03:01 AM   #4
sikkingj
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey4q2pal

I am worried leaving it on the trub might impart some off flavors. My noob mistake was pitching at mid/high 70s temp. I was over zealous and pitched the dry yeast as soon as I poured it into the fermenter. Figured out my mistake when I read the yeast directions a few hrs later, co I crashed it to 64 in the fridge quickly. I jet don't want any weird flavors from sitting on the trub and the recipe calls for a 2ndary. I added the vanilla step on my own and figure it will need to sit a while to pick up flavor and aroma. How long I don't know.
You will be fine letting it sit in the primary. I regularly let batches ride 4-weeks in the primary with no ill effect.

-John

Old 04-16-2013, 03:39 AM   #5
inflictor-of-grimness
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

My first Caribou Slobber got sent with the wrong yeast and came out terrible. NB sent me a replacement and it somehow went all the way down to 1.010 after a couple weeks. Quite a bit thinner than yours. I'll bottle it soon and hopefully it is decent.

Also, just skip secondary. A simple brown ale doesn't need it.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:42 AM   #6
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey4q2pal
My 1st brew is NB Caribou Slobber extract kit. Hit my OG at 1052 and a week later I'm at 1019. Should I let it set another week before transferring it to 2ndary? I'm getting antsy after tasting it today Going to transfer it on top of a vanilla bean sitting in about 2oz vanilla vodka for a light vanilla flavor. Then two weeks later I'm kegging it. Should I wait one more week b4 2ndary? Suggestions will be greatly appreciated. BTW I love HBT!
There were already 428 posts on this, congrats on being number 429!!!

Old 04-16-2013, 05:10 AM   #7
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2640 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 290

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_in_ak

Who cares how many posts there already were, if you're being sarcastic. If you're not, cool! It's a popular kit

Old 04-16-2013, 05:14 AM   #8
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

I didn't mean just on caribou slobber, but rather on this exact permutation of issues. I know, it boggles the mind!

Old 04-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #9
63belair
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Don't be a jerk, there are also 429+ posts with equally non helpful responses to a first time brewers question.

I would advise not transferring to secondary, there are lots of posts about the reasoning for this. Essentially you don't gain anything from transferring, and you only increase the potential for something bad to happen. Just drop the bean in and you will be good to go. Also, I would advise letting the beer sit in the fermentor for 4 weeks before kegging. By no means are you rushing anything by kegging at 3 weeks, but if you let it sit longer the yeast will clean up even more.

Good luck, and congrats on your first brew! Caribou Slobber is my favorite NB recipe!

Old 04-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #10
ACarver
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_in_ak View Post
Wow, guess I never thought that it would be so difficult to just skip the thread as opposed taking the time to read a thread you had no interest in, post in it trying to be a jerk, then come back and respond to another poster after getting called out. Shockingly, it is possible to skip threads you don't want to read.

As for the OP, heard really good things about Caribou Slobber, plan on making it as the last extract before i switch to all grain. Let us know how the vanilla beans turn out in it.

Quick Reply