The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > 1st Batch !!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
Bpts_finest13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default 1st Batch !!!!

What's up everyone.. I have been doing some research and really want to get into this hobby. Just ordered my kit and it came but they forgot my ingredients kit. I think it should be here this weekend. Anyways its aTrue Brew Amber Ale kit. I am really hoping to get a good first batch and do a couple more extract kit before upgrading to grain. I am also in the process of reading "How To Brew". All advice is welcome..

I Have just added some pics of the progress I have made in my 1st week. Feed back will greatly be appreciated.

Here she is.... A week later and I start... with HBT on the back!!!

On the stove top. This electric stove took way too long. will have to deal with it for the next couple batches but I will deff be upgrading to a Propane Burner.

On the Ice bath, This actually worked really well and cooled quicker than I thought. At one point the temp went to the mid 70s right b4 i pitched i brought it back to 90 (is this ok???)

As you can see I made a little mess!!

FV!!

Trying to maintain upper 60s to lower 70s temp. Started with a fishtank heater which worked ok until I removed it from the water and broke it. Now I am using heat wire which is used to keep pipes from freazing. I got the parts which is sealed inside the water container (not pictured) and its actually working really well.

Also giving my bottles a nice bath to make it easier for de labeling.. I have them in their for close to a week ( since i have to wait anyways) and its working Great

While I wait, I try some diff Beers.. This was a good one

Thank You all for looking...

Last edited by Bpts_finest13; 01-22-2011 at 12:21 AM. Reason: PIC

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
stevo155
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Welcome to your new hobby/obsession!!

If you don't get your kit, how far away from Monroe, CT are you? You could swing up to Maltose Express and pick up another kit. www.maltose.com

BN Army for Life!!!

Old 01-14-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
Bpts_finest13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I called you guys weds because i was snowed in and wanted to go get a kit and guess you guys were closed due to the storm, but I was there this past saturday and did the mistake of not picking anything up. I will deff be there these next weeks to get my second kit and a 6.5 carboy. Would love to go tomorrow but it's my lil girls bday and I will be super busy.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
birvine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Read a few threads here for some rules of thumb. Sanitize. Boil. Primary for 3 to 4 weeks at not too high a temp. Don't fiddle with the brew while it ferments. Bottle/keg when ready, and leave it condition another few weeks. In the meantime, get another few brews in the pipeline so you don;t have so long to wait as your progress in the hobby.

B

Old 01-15-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
theonetrueruss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 23 Posts

welcome.. that was my first brew too... (sure plenty of folks) It was an ok beer.. It would have been better if I had the advice that is pushed here... let it sit in the fermentation bucket for at least 2 weeks instead of the.. I think 1 the instructions say... and after you bottle don't even think about trying one for 3 weeks.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
K5MOW
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpts_finest13 View Post
What's up everyone.. I have been doing some research and really want to get into this hobby. Just ordered my kit and it came but they forgot my ingredients kit. I think it should be here this weekend. Anyways its aTrue Brew Amber Ale kit. I am really hoping to get a good first batch and do a couple more extract kit before upgrading to grain. I am also in the process of reading "How To Brew". All advice is welcome..

I just orderd my kit also. Will come nexed week. I am going to my home Brew store today and get an ingredients kit.

Roger

primary: Cream Ale All Grain
Primary Canadian Ale
Primary: Caribou Slobber
Primary: Blackberry Mead Melomel
Primary: Caribou Slobber

Old 01-15-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
Bpts_finest13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanx for the advices everyone.. the advice and threads on this site is great.. How To Brew is kid of making me somewhat nervous because its so critical about everything... I will deff have to read the book once or twice more..lol..

Old 01-15-2011, 07:15 PM   #8
JoeBronco
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Hope everything turns out great. Did my first about two months ago... The obsession WILL start. All i have in my fridge is homebrew. I will NEVER buy another beer from the big three!

Old 01-15-2011, 11:14 PM   #9
ritchie
Recipes 

I am also new to the hobbie and just starting to learn the basics. Im using several mr beer kegs and kits. All have come out awsome. Its going to be hard for be to brew bigger batches beacuse im the only beer drinker in the house and 5gallons might be to big of batches for me. So far im having a lot of fun with this hobbie. im also learnig more then ever about beer

Old 01-16-2011, 12:46 AM   #10
Bpts_finest13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I wanted to start with a Mr. Beer but knew that I would want to upgrade to 5 gO Nd future all grain.. so I just bought the 5 gal kit from the start.. I am also the only beer drinker and on top of that I am big into the gym so the 5 gal will last me a while. I plan on sharing with friends so that's the reason I am hoping I get good at it so I can be like "look at what I did"

Quick Reply