Come enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > 10 gals for Family Memorial Day party??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #1
Soapebrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default 10 gals for Family Memorial Day party??

Okay guys, anyone who wants to chime in is more than welcome....

We are having a big family thing for Memorial Day, and I want to show off my homebrew skill(as limited as it is right now). I have a nice new 15gal SS brewpot with valve and thermo, new burner,chiller, kegs, so forth and so on. I want to know a good extract brew, appropriate for the time of year, that i can get a complete recipe and intructions for a 10 gal batch. oh and i have two carboys, or a 15 gal rotomold conical to use(but its not put together.) ANY ADVICE??? Oh it will have to be an ale....i cant lager yet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
pjcampbell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm working on a memorial day party brew myself. I just did a sample , haven't tasted it carbonated yet. I went with a single malt, single hop session style ale (was supposed to be about 4.5% but came out a bit low due 4.2% to cold house conditions) . I tried to do a Blonde, but it is too dark to be Blonde even with just Pale extract and no specialty grains.

Wanting to keep it simple and not too alcoholic or bitter or hoppy for the masses.

So for me, pale malt, plus 30 IBUs worth of bittering, a little bit of the same hop for flavoring/aroma, US-05 yeast. Cold fermented (60F) for clean flavors. I added a little maltodextrin for body.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
kapbrew13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts

I just did 10 gallon of a citrus Belgian and will be doing 10 gallons of the cream of 3 crops cream ale. This is what my guests have liked previously.
So what does your guests usually drink? Brew based off their preference and shown them your home brew is as good or better then the commercial beer.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I would agree with the above suggestions of low ABV offering, a session type beer.

Cream of Three Crops

Bee Cave Kolsh

Fizzy Yellow Beer

I have made all three for parties and they all have great over all mass appeal.

If you have a chance you could also to make hard lemonade for the non beer crowd, it is a big hit at all of our get parties.

Hard Lemonade

Cheers

Old 03-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
peanasky
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad67z View Post
I would agree with the above suggestions of low ABV offering, a session type beer.

Cream of Three Crops

Bee Cave Kolsh

Fizzy Yellow Beer

I have made all three for get parties and they all have great over all mass appeal.

If you have a chance you could also to make hard lemonade for the non beer crowd, it is a big hit at all of our get parties.

Hard Lemonade

Cheers
+1 to all of this. I can vouch for both the Hard Lemonade and the Cream of Three Crops recipes. They're easy to make and always a big hit.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:41 AM   #6
Soapebrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for all of the input. My guests are a coors light, mich. ultra kind of group. While those are okay, I want to show them what they are missing!!

Old 03-28-2013, 03:47 AM   #7
Soapebrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad67z

Cream of Three Crops

Bee Cave Kolsh

Fizzy Yellow Beer

I have made all three for parties and they all have great over all mass appeal.

Hard Lemonade

Cheers
These sound great, but I'm not set up for AG.. can they be converted to extract?

Old 03-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #8
kapbrew13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapebrews View Post

These sound great, but I'm not set up for AG.. can they be converted to extract?
If you read the recipe threads there probably is an extract conversion.

Quick Reply