The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > 10 Gallon Batches...Advice?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2007, 03:48 PM   #1
Mr. Mojo Rising
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default 10 Gallon Batches...Advice?

I am planning on doing an APA extract (DME) batch this coming Sunday. I am going to do a 3.25 gallon boil, add 3 pounds of DME and my hops to the 3.25 gallons, at knock out I am going to put in the remaining 9 pounds of DME to pasturize. I have used BeerSmith to help calculate my values so I am within style guidelines. It is from here that I am looking for advice. I plan on cooling with my wort chiller, aerating by pouring back and forth between 5 gallon sanitized pails. I then will pour equal amounts into each of my carboys and fill to the 5 gallon mark. I will attempt to pour equal amounts of my yeast starter at that point also.

Has anyone done this before, any suggestions or pitfalls I should anticipate. I just think that if I am going to all the work of doing a 5 gallon batch I might as well do 10!

15 Gal Conical - The Three Nobles-German Pils
Secondary - The Comrade-Imperial Russian Stout
Tap 1 - The Goodness-APA
Tap 2 - The Unicorn-Honey Nut Brown
Tap 3 - The Blarney-Irish Red

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2007, 04:01 PM   #2
ColoradoXJ13

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts

I am thinking that 12# od DME in 3.25 gallons is not going to work well, you are going to end up with syrup and your hop utilization will not be right.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:52 PM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd stick with the 5 gal batches.

You can make one after the other or at the same time.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:02 PM   #4
Mr. Mojo Rising

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I can always increase my boil water, I have a big enough boil pot. I know of several people who do a 5 gallon batch with only a gallon and a half of water. That ratio is not much different than the ratio of boiled wort I am thinking. I anticipate that the wort will be syrup-like, but I don't see how that will change the final product in the carboy once I top up the water. Just my thoughts. BeerSmith calculated my hop utilization so I am adjusting to get the IBU's I need, around 30.

Tap 1 - The Goodness-APA

Old 07-27-2007, 08:22 PM   #5
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

How are you going to measure the wort to make sure you get exactly a gallon and a half in each carboy?

Old 07-27-2007, 08:24 PM   #6
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mojo Rising
...I know of several people who do a 5 gallon batch with only a gallon and a half of water...
I'm one, but I've never thought about doing a 10 gal batch before.

I plan on doing 10 gals of Hefe Weizen this weekend too... hmmm...

Old 07-27-2007, 08:35 PM   #7
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 112 Posts

the higher my gravity, the bigger the boil. i usually do about 2 gallons, but use 3 or more if i'm adding more extract

one of my beers looked like oil, it was so viscous...and that was with a 3.5 gallon boil

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 07-27-2007, 09:08 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

I think you might have trouble hitting your IBU. A 3:1 dilution means 30 IBU max. which is the low end of the style. If you want to go a bit higher, pre-boil part of your bittering hops in the make-up water.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-28-2007, 02:55 AM   #9
Mr. Mojo Rising

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have half gallon marks on each of my carboys, I will turn the knob on my kettle and fill'er up to the marks, then top up to 5 gallons. If I am off slightly, no biggy, just different starting gravities by a point at the most.

I like the idea of adding hops to the water pre-DME addition to extract more IBUs from the hops. Could I just reduce my starting DME to 2 pounds? I mean what difference will it make, I am just putting in my DME at knock out to pastuerize it. Really, I will be happy with around 35 IBU's. These batches will be for party and most so far don't like my really hoppy beers...damn lawnmower beers

I will go ahead and test this out this weekend and will post my results, including OG, recipes, and how to.

Tap 1 - The Goodness-APA

Last edited by Mr. Mojo Rising; 07-28-2007 at 03:03 AM.

Old 07-29-2007, 01:20 PM   #10
Georgian Novice2
Recipes 

Intriguing idea overall. I for one would be interested to see how this turns out. I am another that only does a 1.5-2.0 or so gallon boil. and then add cooled, refrigerated spring or drinking water to fill up to 5 gallons.

I have also started reducing the boil time overall. Bittering hops boil time 45-60 minutes, adding the DME or LME 20-30 minutes before knockout to reduce carmelization and help with color and taste.

I am curious about the whole concept you stated of adding the last part of the DME at knockout to pasteurize. I was under the impression that the DME or LME needed a good 15-20 boil to fully sanitize it. Does this mean that when we are dealing with extract that we could add them at the end and just get them fully dissolved or did I misunderstand the posting? Thanks.

Quick Reply