Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > 1.020 fg imperial Ipa w/ 95ibus 7.5 abv

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
Plascentofawoman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 1.020 fg imperial Ipa w/ 95ibus 7.5 abv

Hey guys, longtime troll, first time poster. Anyways, the fg of my ipa is 1.020 and hasn't moved. I'm going to dry hop with 1.5oz citra, .5 cascade, .5 magnum. I'm thinking of doing it for 10-14 days. Anyways... Do you think my fg is about right for a beer with such a high ibu level to give it some balance? should I aim lower? My bf said ipas *should* be around 1.014, but he isn't sure since it's gonna have such a high ibu rating. Thoughts? Thanks!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2011, 11:10 PM   #2
ayoungrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What was your OG? What is the average attenuation of your yeast? Was this an extract recipe?

Old 04-27-2011, 11:29 PM   #3
Plascentofawoman
Recipes 

Extract. Safale us05 80ish?, og was 1.070.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:33 PM   #4
ayoungrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Its probably a few points higher than expected. Did you use 2 packets of yeast?

I bet it will still taste great. A little sweet but not necessarily in a bad way.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:38 PM   #5
Plascentofawoman
Recipes 

We only used 1 pack. We were told one Pack for anything less than 1.080. The first 12 hours, fermentation was crazy. In a 6.5 gallon bottle, all the empty space was filled with brown crap and it got into the water bucket too through the blowoff tube... Maybe we lost some yeast? Perhaps pitch another?

Old 04-27-2011, 11:44 PM   #6
ayoungrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

One pack is close to perfect, just a little more would have been nice. You can use this in the future:

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

But given how close you were to suggested on the site I don't think that's the issue. It could be the extract which can cause higher than expected FGs. Could also be fermentation temps but given that its been cooler in NE for the most-part that may not be an issue.

Just realized that I never asked how long has it been fermenting? Did you take a gravity measurement? Has the Krausen (brown stuff) gone away?

Old 04-27-2011, 11:46 PM   #7
ayoungrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Sorry I mean do you have 2 different gravity measurements 2-3 days apart?

Old 04-27-2011, 11:53 PM   #8
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

There is no "perfect" answer for correct final gravity It depends on starting gravity, IBU's, type and amount of yeast used, initial oxygen and nutrients, and fermentation conditions. That being said most IPA's with an OG of 1.070 ish would probably be shooting for an FG in the 1.012 to 1.015 area. I just kegged up an Imperial Cascadian Dark Ale (Black IPA) at about 95 IBU's that started at 1.084 and finished at 1.015 with lots of love and attention during ferment. For me the residual sweetness is about as high as I would care for, but personal taste preferences come into play there as well.

I'm sure yours will be tasty. In the future on such a large brew you can shave a few more points by using a bit more yeast, giving extra oxygen at the start of fermentation, and adding a bit of yeast nutrient (about 1/4 tsp) mixed in with some boiled DME wort to the primary at fermentation start plus about 72 hours.

Enjoy

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 04-27-2011, 11:57 PM   #9
Plascentofawoman
Recipes 

Sorry for the noobness. I told my bf I didn't want any help this time from recipe to drinking so I'm not sure of a lot of this stuff. It's been in primary for 6 days, it got hot today (80's) and where I put the beer got up to 75 so I took a reading, I haven't taken one since the original. The room was at 68 until today. Guess I'll have to wait? Nthe crap covers the whole upper part, but it's all settled since day 3.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:10 AM   #10
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Ooops, I assumed you had been in fermenter longer. No need to apologize for noobiness. We've all been there, That beer is likely not done fermenting yet, and definitely not ready to come out of primary yet. The bigger the beer the longer it takes to ferment, and then condition. At 6 days I'd bet it is still gonna drop a couple points in gravity and will definitely need a bit of time to come together. My recent 1.084 IPA beer took about 10 days or so till the gravity stabilized. On day 12 I moved it onto a dry hop in secondary and gave that a week, then several more days in the keg carbing up. Big IPA's can be a balancing game as you want to give it enough time to condition, but not so much time that your hop signature is dropping off.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Quick Reply