Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > The 1.020 Curse

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2008, 03:17 PM   #41
s3n8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3n8
How are you aerating?

I have had similar issues, and have just tried an o2 system on the latest batch. Hoping to have one finish below 1.016 (my lowest yet).
I have tried a number of different things, liquid yeast (always with a starter), Dry (Safale 04, 05, Nottinghams), shaking, whisking, aquarium pump and stone, and have always finished about 4 or 5 points high. Temps have been fairly constant in the high 60s to low 70s.

I just checked my Rye IPA (first one shot with o2), OG on the 24th was 1.056, today it is 1.012 and still working. Krausen has nearly disappeared, but if it stops there I will still be thrilled.

Woohoo for o2!

Im sold

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2008, 10:55 AM   #42
Chris_Dog
Orange whip?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Under-pitching my contribute to the lack of attenuation. Check Jamil's pitching calculator http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:47 PM   #43
Blackhawkbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I just went to rack my BB Altbier into secondary for some dry hopping and when I checked my FG it was at the magic 1.020 level after 8 days! There was very little Krausen and ther were, what looked like, little yeast gobs foating (almost looked like flaked fish food). Has anyone else had this? My LHBS did not have the BB kit so he checked the recipe online and used ingredients he had in-house to fill the order. I have brewed three other BB kits, all with great success. I have some yeast activater, would that help? What about the Amylaze Enzyme that Shafferpiolet mentioned? Can I add that to the primary still?

By the way, I used Nottingham dry yeast pitched dry at about 75 degrees.

I'll leave it go and check it again in another week.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:16 AM   #44
shafferpilot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkbrew View Post
I just went to rack my BB Altbier into secondary for some dry hopping and when I checked my FG it was at the magic 1.020 level after 8 days! There was very little Krausen and ther were, what looked like, little yeast gobs foating (almost looked like flaked fish food). Has anyone else had this? My LHBS did not have the BB kit so he checked the recipe online and used ingredients he had in-house to fill the order. I have brewed three other BB kits, all with great success. I have some yeast activater, would that help? What about the Amylaze Enzyme that Shafferpiolet mentioned? Can I add that to the primary still?

By the way, I used Nottingham dry yeast pitched dry at about 75 degrees.

I'll leave it go and check it again in another week.
I think 8 days is a little early to start doing anything. Leave it alone for a while and make sure that it won't take care of itself, then start looking for alternatives. BTW little floating colonies of yeast are quite normal.

A great man knows that he knows NOTHING

Old 05-09-2008, 01:34 AM   #45
Blackhawkbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I just checked my BB Altbier and the gravity dropped to 1.012! I went ahead and added my extra .5 oz of Vanguard on top in the primary. I stirred gently and tried to submerge the hops a bit, but I didn't want to add to much O2. I was surprised of the minimal amount of krausen compared to my last batch. Should that tell me something or does the amount of krausen depend on the yeast attenuation?

Thanks for all your help!

Old 05-09-2008, 04:56 PM   #46
nathan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've had some success beating this in different ways (this weekend I'll start a batch with all three together as a PM).

1) aeration - I'm using a stone now and an oxygen can (will switch to pump soon, can is too expensive in hind-sight)

2) not putting yeast through a rigorous starter program (now I start days ahead of time and do a pint then a quart additions of starter wort to them and grow them up. I am trying a stirplate to do it more quickly now)

3) switching extract sources. My LHBS store has their own "store brand" which I'm sure is whatever they get in bulk. The LME has good flavor, but I think it may be the culprit as well. I ordered name brand through the mail and will also add late in the boil.

Aeration and yeast startering worked on two of my batches. My last one used the bulk extract again and got stuck, but had no yeast startering (did aerate, though). I'm doing one of those recipes again on Sunday and will try to remember to report back if I beat this. It's all academic for me anyway, though, since I'm basically goofing off making some "drinkin' beers" while I pool funds for a nice AG system.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:22 AM   #47
milracing
Recipes 

This has probably been beaten into the ground but I too seem to keep running into 1.020 as well. I just have the gut feeling that theres something about ending at this gravity. Inadvertently mashing to hot or *something* with the mashing.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:56 PM   #48
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

When I started brewing this fall, my second season (I don't brew in June, July, and August), I, too became a member of the 1.020 club. My first season, I brewed a dozen MW extract kits, all different- ales, porters, wheats, and they all attenuated right down to the specified FG in a week or so (I always use the Wyeast Activator packs). To my surprise, when I started brewing in September with MW kits, two of the first three batches got stuck (or became very slow) around 1.020. The wheat batch fermented out very cleanly in a week, but the batch of porter and a batch of ale both got stuck. I made the mistake of racking the porter anyway, and it's been sitting in the secondary for three weeks, with a bubble maybe every minute, not changing SG much, despite the fact that I agitate the carboy often. The ale I left in the primary for an additional week, and it reached the upper end of the specified FG range (1.014), so I racked it. I've decided that what I've got left in the porter is basically unfermentable, so I'm going to bottle it along with the ale this week.
After reviewing my methods, the one thing I was doing last season that I forgot to start up again was the "drop of olive oil" adjunct to æration. I've started doing that again.
Interesting times....you learn more when things don't go as expected.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:12 AM   #49
Pi Kapp Beer Guy
Recipes 

Yeah I'm actually suprised this has not come up more but i'm thinking you should try a starter. I have had this problem with a batch and i am planning on doing it again the same way except with a much larger starter. Matter of fact i am using the same Yeast that i just racked from the top. Anyways good luck and i will be following this thread and hope to hear of your future results.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:58 PM   #50
Col224
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Can anyone explain what the drop of olive oil thing means? I haven't had this problem myself(my first beer is still in primary) but I like to learn what could go wrong so when it does I can fix it(or keep it from happening)

Quick Reply