Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > The 1.020 Curse

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2008, 08:19 PM   #21
homebrewer_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just as a forethought, are your hydrometers calibrated properly?

If you keep getting the same readings over several batches could be they are really around 1.012 or so...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2008, 09:18 PM   #22
solbergg
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3n8
How are you aerating?

I have had similar issues, and have just tried an o2 system on the latest batch. Hoping to have one finish below 1.016 (my lowest yet).
In the past I have poured it back and forth between my kettle and my ale pail. I also bought an o2 aerator for my next batch, since I'm willing to try anything at this point.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:19 PM   #23
solbergg
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
Just as a forethought, are your hydrometers calibrated properly?

If you keep getting the same readings over several batches could be they are really around 1.012 or so...
I can't speak for the others, but I feel that my hydrometer is true because it hits the OG quite accurately and it read 1.000 in water.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:55 PM   #24
Nimrod3388
Recipes 

I spoke with my friends neighbor who was brewing an all-grain APA one day and he mentioned added Beano tablets to the fermentor if you are having trouble reaching your FG. I trust the man for his homebrew was remarkable and the Treasure Coast Brewmasters (Local Club) is helping him with everything. 3 tablets per 10 gallons.

I havent tried it yet.

Old 04-26-2008, 03:54 PM   #25
Klainmeister
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod3388
I spoke with my friends neighbor who was brewing an all-grain APA one day and he mentioned added Beano tablets to the fermentor if you are having trouble reaching your FG. I trust the man for his homebrew was remarkable and the Treasure Coast Brewmasters (Local Club) is helping him with everything. 3 tablets per 10 gallons.

I havent tried it yet.
Improve fermentation AND eliminate beer farts!? Brilliant!!!

Bayern, i sag ma mir.

Bayern, un des Bayerische bier!

Old 04-26-2008, 04:45 PM   #26
JohnA111

Recipes 

I may not use a stone and an O2 tank, but I believe my aeration is fine (wand and drill). My hydrometer also reads 1.000 at 60F, just like it should. I may do the drop of olive oil next batch before pitching. I'll look into the beano and see what it may offer.

I'm not complaining here, all beers so far have been fantastic, just not technically down to the FG they should have.

Bottled: Brown Ale
Bottled: Sweet Stout
Kegged: Sweet Stout II
Kegged: Basil Pale
Kegged: Smoked Ale

Old 04-26-2008, 05:48 PM   #27
Hoosierbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Are you using liquid extract? The thing to remember is that it is usually better to add that towards the end of the brew since it is already brewed once. I think that BYO had an article on it a few years ago.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:52 PM   #28
adx

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Couple things:

1. You need to calibrate your hydrometer in distilled water.

2. Try to let the temperature raise to around 70F and give the primary a swirl. You may just need to "wake" up the yeast some.

3. What you need to calculate is attenuation. You can calculate attenuation with [(OG - FG) / (OG - 1)] * 100. Yeast manufacturers will give a yeast strain a certain range that they will attenuate to. Most yeasts attenuate between 70% and 85%.

4. If you want a yeast that makes a super dry beer try Nottinghams. I don't like it because I think it attenuates too much, but that's just personal preference.

5. If you just want more alcohol then make your OG higher. Don't try to use amalyze after the fact, you'll just get watered down alcohol.

And most importantly.

6. Never dump a beer! The cotton mouth feeling on your IPA was probably because it was over hopped. Let that bitterness mellow for 6 to 9 months and it would have been great.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:10 AM   #29
GIusedtoBe
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm still doing extract brews but I only use DME and I have only used liquid yeast as well. On 9/10th's of my brews, I use Briess DME and Wyeast 1056 Amer Ale (washed and reused) and I have yet to have one any higher FG than 1.014. They are very consistently finishing at 1.012.

Get a 6.5 G carboy to use as your fermenter and you can shake the hell out of it before you pitch your yeast and this will aerate your wort. All grain and the fishtank aerator are better I'm sure but the above methods have worked for me.

PS On my first brew, I used dry yeast and I ended w/ a high FG.

Regards,
Al

Old 04-27-2008, 11:04 AM   #30
solbergg
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod3388

I havent tried it yet.
Yeah, when I was picking up some amylase enzyme from my LHBS on Friday, the owner mentioned that some people add beano to aid stuck fermentations. If the AE doesn't work, this might be my next addition. It's worth it even if these additions ruin my batch because the learning will be very beneficial.

Quick Reply