Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Yeast started, couldn't brew. Advice?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
nathan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Yeast started, couldn't brew. Advice?

I built up my 2.3 or so Liter starter of WLP830 Lager yeast.
I put it in the fridge after it fully attenuated (night before planned brewing).
Then I couldn't brew yesterday.

Can I leave it in the fridge until Friday, decant the beer on top, let it warm to room temperature over a few hours (while I brew) and then pitch into my Munich Helles?

I'm going to try and swing a double batch day on my own on Friday.

In case anyone is curious, I couldn't brew because I ran into a log jam with containers and working freezers. One freezer is on the fritz, and the delivery of my new lagering freezer got delayed until Sunday, so I didn't have space to handle my Kolsch, and things were too crowded to fit in the Helles. I'll have a keg space empty in the kegorator by Friday, though, so I can do the long storage of the Kolsch in there, and then I'll have space for my Helles. I'm still stuck doing Ales in the guest bathroom until I save up to replace the busted freezer, but at least I can brew!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2008, 12:53 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You'll be fine. Just take it out a couple days before you brew so it gets to room temp and the yeasties wake up....

Don't panic if you have a bit of a lag time though anyway.

If you were really motivated, you could decant and feed it some more wort a couple days ahead, in essence making a starter for your starter, that way you'll know for sure that everything's fine with it by Friday.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-16-2008, 12:55 PM   #3
nathan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've got a pint left of starter. Maybe I'll pull it on Thursday and let it warm up and feed it, let it run through the night. That one pint shouldn't put too much color into the Helles.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:15 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan View Post
I've got a pint left of starter. Maybe I'll pull it on Thursday and let it warm up and feed it, let it run through the night. That one pint shouldn't put too much color into the Helles.
Especially if it ha time to floculate, you can still decant the majority of the liquid off of it before you pitch.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-16-2008, 01:20 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

What I'd do is take it out of the fridge on brewday, and while the wort chills, I'd decant and let it warm a bit. For lagers, I like to pitch a 45 degree yeast slurry into a 50 degree wort. It gets going well, and you don't have to worry about chilling it down or shocking the yeast.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:25 PM   #6
nathan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

That's probably the best, then I won't have to add any more dark starter to a light colored wort.

At least I feel better knowing I don't need to just toss it.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I let a 1084 starter sit in the fridge 11 days and it worked great.

This place really went to hell. Follow the OF standard stout. Bye.

Quick Reply