Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Yeast on side of carboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 11:31 PM   #1
jmac2472
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Yeast on side of carboy

Has any one encountered yeast or what looks like yeast sticking to the side of the carboy, it has been in the secondary for a little over a week. Most of the yeast settled at the bottom, then I noticed it sticking to the sides yesterday. I am worried its an infection. Please help
Thanks

image-419301460.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 11:32 PM   #2
evolcoms
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Its yeast. Ive gotten that a few times. Give the carboy a gentle spin in both directs and watch it sink.....slowly

Beers
In the Works: Peach Berry Wheat Ale
Conditioning: Blue Moon Clone, Double O' Blossom Honey Hefeweizen
In the Fridge:Blind Pig IPA, Raspberry Wheat Ale, Capt. Cascade American Amber Ale
Ciders
Primary #1: Carmel Apple Cider 4 weeks on 01/16/13 Primary #2: Spiced Apple Cider 2 weeks on 01/17/13

Old 12-05-2012, 12:18 AM   #3
jmac2472
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks, it's never happened time before, it's the first time I've used wyeast. I've noticed it acts a little different than the dry yeast

Old 12-05-2012, 01:04 AM   #4
USAFSooner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Happens all the time to me in secondary. It catches on the ridges as it settles out.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #5
jmac2472
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The only thing that bugs me about this is that is not just in the ridges it's also gathering on the sides if you zoom in you can see it, would it be ok to transfer into a 3rd fermenter to let it clear more?

Old 12-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
evolcoms
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I personally would leave it. Every time you expose the beer , you risk a chance of infection. The yeast won't hurt anything.

Beers
In the Works: Peach Berry Wheat Ale
Conditioning: Blue Moon Clone, Double O' Blossom Honey Hefeweizen
In the Fridge:Blind Pig IPA, Raspberry Wheat Ale, Capt. Cascade American Amber Ale
Ciders
Primary #1: Carmel Apple Cider 4 weeks on 01/16/13 Primary #2: Spiced Apple Cider 2 weeks on 01/17/13

Old 12-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1940 Times on 1403 Posts
Likes Given: 1061

Let me be the first to tell you.

It's yeast.

Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew.

I see this pretty much every time I ferment anything in a glass carboy. If it's not real close to bottling time, I'd give that thing a quick twist to knock it loose and allow it to settle to the bottom.

It won't hurt anything and if you are careful you won't get much yeast in the bottling bucket when you siphon the beer out of there. To be honest, I don't usually even use a secondary, so unless you don't mind adding more oxygen to your beer, or risking an infection, I'd just not open the carboy.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

It happens all the time guys, it's perfectly normal. There are ridges on the carboy, yeast falls, yeast SOMETIMES LANDS ON SAID RIDGES, just like snow sometimes lands on windowsills, or dandruff on a nerd's shoulder. It's nothing to worry about.

Do yourselves a favor and quit hovering over your fermenters looking for something that could go wrong, especially if you don't know if something is wrong or right.

The yeast knows what they're doing, they've been doing what they do for thousands of years, they're the experts not us. Once we pitch the yeast we're not in charge, they are...Our job is done. Our job is to provide a clean factory for them with all the best materials to work with, but after that they just need to be left alone to do what is in their DNA to do... **** like bunnies, then eat sugar, fart co2 and pee alcohol.(How would you like it is someone was hovering around while you were ****ing like bunnies, peeing and fart, and trying to do your job? )Well except for Laughinggnome you probably would hate it right? Same for the yeast......

They can do just fine without us micromanaging them.

Just pitch your yeast, walk away and like Homercidal said, have a rdwhahb moment instead.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-05-2012, 11:23 PM   #9
jmac2472
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks, load off the mind!!!!

Cheers I love this forum!!!

Quick Reply