Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewTaster

Reaction score
Im going to be making a new wheat recipe I am working on, and am running into a bit of a snag with yeast. I prefer dry yeast so Id like to keep the convo to that for now.

Anyways, I can get my hands on t-58, and all the other s-XX yeasts for fairly good prices, but to get myself some wb-06 is about double the price. I have usually used wb-06 in the past, but am wondering if anyone has had any luck with the t-58? It sounds like it might make a decent wheat. Also does anyone use any of the S series for wheat beers, maybe i can do a half and half with 2 diffrent yeasts.

Any help is greatly appreciated guys!

Cheers :mug:

Jeff

dry yeast is for people too cheap to use liquid. upgrade to liquid and quit worrying about the added cost. the beer comes out much better

dry yeast is for people too cheap to use liquid. upgrade to liquid and quit worrying about the added cost. the beer comes out much better

A) that is such BS on so many levels. Liquid and dry are really interchangable these days. And your crack about "being cheap" smacks of *****ebaggery to the highest order. :rolleyes:

B) The OP asked that the answers really stay on topic about dry yeast...so your answer besides being jerky, are about as helpful as a hemorroid....

c)We also tend to be a little nicer on here than other boards, and we don't tolerate crap like that here...

Brewtaster, I'm a big fan of femrnetis dry yeast and have never had any problems/issues with using it. But I have never used t-58 though I have been curious about it's belgian like character.

But according to some reading I have just done, that fermentis says it is usablel for wheat beers.

A specialty ale yeast selected for its estery, somewhat peppery and spicy flavor. This yeast forms a solid sediment at the end of secondary fermentation, and is therefore widely used for bottle and cask conditioning. Great for Belgian ales & wheat beers

Listerman evidently includes it in a few of their wheat kits.

I see it showing up in Belgian wit kits online as well, so it is going to have some of the "funk" associated with belgian wits...so be aware of that.

I'm a great fan of nottingham and use the US-05 on occasion, always makes for a great beer. Some liquid yeasts simply cannot be made in dry form, so more availability is out there for liquid, but it does not mean they are "better." Dry yeast is much more convenient, cheaper, and can make just as good a beer as any liquid yeast, depending on what you're making.

I used the Munich dry yeast for a hefeweizen and it turned out great.

I generally use liquid yeast, but I'm glad dry yeast is available. I unexpectedly had a free half day and didn't have a starter ready. US-05 to the rescue!

Too cheap? Not hardly. Dry yeasts make some fantastic beers and win awards every year.

Dry and Liquid yeasts each have pros & cons.

Brewtaster- It would be easier to answer your post if you could say what style of wheat beer you are trying. Most yeasts will ferment a wheat. What matters in selection is the flavor profile you are tying for.

Back