Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Yay...brewed first Mini-Mash. Only missed OG my .2 !!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2007, 10:07 PM   #11
bigben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Now one more question. I don't think I mixed up the wort enough after I pitched the yeast. Is it ok to open up the primary and give it a good mixin now? It's been about 18 hours as of this posting.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2007, 10:15 PM   #12
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I would be surprised if it didn't mix itself pretty well by diffusion already - and if your yeast is active (airlock bubbling) you have nothing to worry about, as all the bubbling will surely get things mixed up.

But, if you're seeing no activity, and/or if you are just worried, a safer method than opening the primary and stirring would be to take out your airlock, temporarily cover the airlock port (like with your thumb, either wearing a glove or with some plastic wrap or something) and just shake the fermenter.

For that matter, that's something that's a very good idea to do when you first put the wort in the fermenter anyway, as it aerates the wort so the yeast has plenty of oxygen to reproduce - I always do this before pitching my yeast.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:24 PM   #13
bigben
Recipes 

good idea. I took out the blowoff tube and used plastic wrap and gave it a little whirl. I made a ton of pressure in there...and stuff shot out so hopefully it starts bubbling away soon.

Thanks again,

You asked about the style...it's supposed to be a Sierrna Nevada Pale Ale clone...we'll see what it ends up being

Old 06-19-2007, 10:47 PM   #14
bigben
Recipes 

YOu can tell Im a noob cuz I keep posting every little step on these forums...

After giving it a whirl, it is now bubbling steadily!! WOOT.

Now I will stop worrying for about 5 days...then it's into the Secondary.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:08 PM   #15
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Exciting, isn't it?

Don't worry about being a noob, you learn fast if you try. I've only got about a half dozen batches under my belt, but I've made (and learned from) all sorts of mistakes, and spent a lot of time reading.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:37 PM   #16
bigben
Recipes 

is it normal for a beer with a 1.036 OG to be completely done bubbling after less than 36 hours after pitching???

It only bubbled for about 12 hours total. I watched it today for about 3 minutes and nothing

I want to throw this batch out and start over....after I get a cooler

Old 06-20-2007, 05:51 PM   #17
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by evandude
just today I saw someone asking about an english bitter they were making with an OG of 1.035
Ironically, the person who was asking about the 1.035 OG bitter, was asking almost the same question you just asked:
http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?s...5907&hl=bitter

12 hours does seem really short, but it doesn't mean anything until you take a specific gravity reading and see if it really fermented fully or not.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:00 PM   #18
bigben
Recipes 

Yea interesting.

O well. I just took a gravity reading and it looked like 1.012. My stupid hydrometer won't stop sticking to the sides tho and there was a lot of crud still at the top...I need a turkey baster.

I will take another reading tomorrow and see what it says.

BTW...it tasted ok

Quick Reply