Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > www.fiftypoundsack.com - cheap bulk grain
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2011, 06:10 PM   #171
Rich_S
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 130
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
You're splitting hairs here.

He has given you a source for $1.04/lb, shipped to your door, base grain.

Yes, you have to buy 60# of it to get the free shipping, but you're already talking about buying 55#, so what's 5# more?

And they don't have any clause that says "limit X per customer" so if they want to break it down into 5# bags and sell it to me for cheaper than buying a while 55# bag, then.... well... that's their issue and not mine.

I might have a very good reason for buying it in 5# bags. Like... maybe I have no vacuum sealer and want to be able to use this grain over the course of a year. A 55# sack is more expensive and more likely to stale on me than 60# packed up in 5# bricks.
Come to think of it, I kind of like the idea of buying it in 10lb bricks since that's about what I use in base grain per batch. Much easier to just grab a brick and dump it into the mill than to measure our 10lbs from a sack. Hmmmm.....
__________________
Rich_S is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 06:11 PM   #172
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 11,236
Liked 87 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_S View Post
Look, I'm not here to criticize anyone. People can sell for whatever they want and people can buy or not buy. It's a free country. My only point is that if someone is going to start a business to exclusively sell bulk grains over the internet, you'd think they'd find a way to make it cheaper than just buying by the pound from all of the other internet homebrew stores. Otherwise it makes no sense, it's like going to Costco and finding the same unit prices as the local supermarket just in bigger packages.
I totally agree with this.

I was expecting 50poundsack to be a great go-to source for great prices on grain bought in large quantities, and it just hasn't turned out to be true.
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.
Walker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #173
integrator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Indy, IN
Posts: 163
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

If they will sell it in 5 pound increments and anything over $59 is free shipping, nice deal for sure. It's a mistake on their end if you ask me since a 50 pound bag is $83 shipped. I might take a look thanks.
And I wasn't trying to split hairs. the 50-55 pound vs 60 wasn't my argument. I was talking 5 pound vs 50-55. If they will ship 12 five pound bags for free, then he's right and I'm wrong.
Thankfully I can get a 50 pound bag local for $37.50 plus tax.

__________________
integrator is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #174
bigbeergeek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 4,079
Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by integrator View Post
That's before shipping. Read the details on the free shipping.

MoreSaver!™ Shipping - Free shipping on most orders over $59.00, orders ship out of our doors in 2-4 Business days.

If you buy 12, it might qualify. I'm guessing that they will catch on that you are not buying the 50 pound bag which does not have free shipping. It's $50.95 in shipping charges for a 50 pound bag, plus the $32.50 for the grain itself.

Now you might add on a few to another order to get your free shipping but we are trying to look at strictly grain prices and I think in 50-55 pound sizes.
I'm not sure what you're saying.

I bought 150 lbs of it and the shipping was free. Hilarious to thing about how much they would have charged me for shipping the same weight of the same grain in larger sacks!

Edit: I figured out what you're saying -- not sure why I'm so dense this morning. At any rate, I'm happy to buy a couple of extra pounds for free shipping and a better per pound price... aren't you?
__________________

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

bigbeergeek is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 06:17 PM   #175
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 11,236
Liked 87 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by integrator View Post
If they will sell it in 5 pound increments and anything over $59 is free shipping, nice deal for sure. It's a mistake on their end if you ask me since a 50 pound bag is $83 shipped. I might take a look thanks.
And I wasn't trying to split hairs. the 50-55 pound vs 60 wasn't my argument. I was talking 5 pound vs 50-55. If they will ship 12 five pound bags for free, then he's right and I'm wrong.
Thankfully I can get a 50 pound bag local for $37.50 plus tax.


We've got a hell of a deal going on down here in the Raleigh area thanks to a guy with an account at North Country Malt.

55# sacks of 2-row for $30
55# sacks of Maris Otter for $38.
55# sacks of Munich for $30.

Granted, we need a bunch of guys to get together for this to happen, but we don't seem to have any issues with it. We've literally bought about 4 tons of grain so far this year.
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.
Walker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 06:22 PM   #176
integrator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Indy, IN
Posts: 163
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Nice score there. A new lhbs opened up for my price. I'd love some Marris at that price.

__________________
integrator is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #177
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: , New York
Posts: 4,266
Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_S View Post
Look, I'm not here to criticize anyone. People can sell for whatever they want and people can buy or not buy. It's a free country. My only point is that if someone is going to start a business to exclusively sell bulk grains over the internet, you'd think they'd find a way to make it cheaper than just buying by the pound from all of the other internet homebrew stores. Otherwise it makes no sense, it's like going to Costco and finding the same unit prices as the local supermarket just in bigger packages.
Love me some brew talk banter.

If I am reading this all right, this is a shot to 50#. If so I agree. The hops prices are pretty decent, but the grain prices (the entire reason they are called 50# sack), are lackluster at best. If you buy hops you can save, but 50# sack refers to grain buys.


I actually have written to 50# telling them the above. They came back and compared hop + grain buys across companies. The ONLY thing that would make buying from 50# worthwhile is if you can't get in on a grain buy and you need hops too (the bulk hops prices beat out the single ounce hop costs at competing comps). Again, it is still a lackluster savings IMHO.

Then again seeing those 1.04lb prices, 50# just added to the lack luster bulk wanna be suppliers.

The honest truth is LHBS have no interest in selling bulk grains (internet stores can't competitively ship the large bags). They don't make good money on them. But for the maltsters it is beneficial to let us do the bulk buys. I will buy way more grain if I can get it in bulk (they sell the same price to the stores as they do for us in a bulk buy). If I had to go to the LHBS I would brew way less. Currently they ask for ~$70 for briess 2row 50# bag. Total crap. Not even a real incentive to buy bulk.

If my LHBS had been even close to reasonable on a bulk bag, I wouldn't have had the incentive to initiate a bulk grain buy. So I guess.... thanks to my LHBS
__________________

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

CidahMastah is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #178
Rich_S
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 130
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
Love me some brew talk banter.

If I am reading this all right, this is a shot to 50#. If so I agree. The hops prices are pretty decent, but the grain prices (the entire reason they are called 50# sack), are lackluster at best. If you buy hops you can save, but 50# sack refers to grain buys.


I actually have written to 50# telling them the above. They came back and compared hop + grain buys across companies. The ONLY thing that would make buying from 50# worthwhile is if you can't get in on a grain buy and you need hops too (the bulk hops prices beat out the single ounce hop costs at competing comps). Again, it is still a lackluster savings IMHO.
On a positive note, they do offer $10 off on order over $100 and $25 off orders over $200. That's a step in the right direction. Bump those rebates up a little and maybe offer a real big one at the $500 level and it starts to get competitive again. Then I might start thinking about going in on an order with a buddy or two (much less hassle than a group grain buy). After all, a 50 lb sack is only 5 brews.
__________________
Rich_S is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #179
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
 
TheMan's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,991
Liked 327 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Depending on your location 50# sack might be a good deal...For me, and it sounds like many others, it is not even close to the best deal.

__________________
TheMan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #180
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: , New York
Posts: 4,266
Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
Depending on your location 50# sack might be a good deal...For me, and it sounds like many others, it is not even close to the best deal.
What does location have to do with it. The shipping prices are the same online for everyone. Do you mean a local pickup?
__________________

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

CidahMastah is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VA group bulk grain buy #2 mb2696 Group Buys 39 01-20-2011 02:40 PM
How do you buy grain in bulk? GRHunter All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 20 05-16-2010 05:56 PM
Bulk Grain Buy In Va mishi All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 0 12-29-2009 12:46 AM
Which Bulk Grain should I buy? shoebag22 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 11 10-27-2009 02:57 AM
Bulk grain z987k All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 31 10-23-2007 09:35 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS