Wrong Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnolan

Reaction score
I intended on making an English pub ale today. Recipe was:

5lb Golden Promise
1lb Marris Otter
.25 lb Crystal 150

1oz Fuggles 60 min
1oz EKG 15
1oz EKg Flame Out

I planned on using Nottingham yeast. I accidentally purchased Danstar Munich yeast. I just started the boil when I realized my mistake.

I just started the boil and have no way of getting a hold of the correct yeast. If I use the Munich, how do you think this beer will come out?

Going by the description of the Munich yeast available, I wouldn't use it for an English pub ale (or any UK ale)...

IMO, you're better off either sending someone to the LHBS to get the correct yeast, or chill the wort (and put it into primary) and get the correct yeast. IF you had a strain that at least was for regular ales you could probably get away with it. BUT, that's for wheat beers...

Plus, there's these items in the description which, IMO make it a very poor choice for an English ale..

• Munich is a non flocculent strain. In classic open fermentation vessels, the yeast can be skimmed off the top. Some settling can be promoted by cooling and use of fining agents and isinglass.
• Aroma is estery to both palate and nose with typical banana notes. Does not display malodours when properly handled. Munich yeast has found widespread use in the production of German Weizen and Hefeweizen.

Since it won't flocculate out, it will still be in the brew when bottled/kegged... IMO, not a good thing for what you're making.

Thanks for the response. I ended up biting the bullet and driving 2 hours round trip to the nearest brew store. Bought 2 pkgs of Nottingham which is certainly more appropriate for the style I'm making.

Back