Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Wow - Efficiency improved with new crush

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2007, 05:50 PM   #1
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Wow - Efficiency improved with new crush

I'm brewing a batch of Haus Pale today and my Barley Crusher is no longer a virgin. I just put 7 gallons on to boil and the OG is 1.028 at 143 degrees which is 1.045 corrected. The best preboil OG for this batch was 1.040 when grains were crushed at AHBS.

8# Pale
2# Vienna
1/2# Crystal 10L

Any take on the efficiency? I'm going to have to recalculate the grain bill if I reproduce this again as it will be a bit too heavy for a session beer.

Wadago Barley Crusher!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2007, 06:05 PM   #2
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

BeerSmith says 83% in to the boiler. Nice Job man, I couldn't find my hydrometer on my last batch when I crushed with my crankandstein. If it was anything like yours I will be happy.

Old 02-17-2007, 11:03 PM   #3
EdWort

Recipes 

Cool. My finished O.G. in the fermenter is 1.053, a bit large for the beer, but it should be interesting how it turns out.

It's going to be about 5.6% if it finishes out at 1.011 like the previous batches. Yeah baby!

Old 02-17-2007, 11:07 PM   #4
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Congrats that is awesome! Dont ya love it when you have excess sugars (alcohol) ???

The Pol

Old 02-17-2007, 11:13 PM   #5
EdWort

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol
Congrats that is awesome! Dont ya love it when you have excess sugars (alcohol) ???
Yeah! Results from crushing your own. Pretty cool!

Old 02-17-2007, 11:19 PM   #6
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I hope to get a crusher sometime soon, I am starting to be the resident AG instructor at my church, so I need to upgrade. What sort of mill do you have?!

The Pol

Old 02-17-2007, 11:23 PM   #7
EdWort

Recipes 

SWMBO gave me a Barley Crusher with the 15 lb. hopper for Christmas. I am a lucky man!

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 02-17-2007, 11:58 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

I need to get a crusher. The LHBS has two crushers and they freak if you forget and run dark grains through the "pure" crusher.

[Doesn't help you need to be 6'6" to pour the grains in it!]

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-18-2007, 01:37 AM   #9
delboy

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
Cool. My finished O.G. in the fermenter is 1.053, a bit large for the beer, but it should be interesting how it turns out.

It's going to be about 5.6% if it finishes out at 1.011 like the previous batches. Yeah baby!
Hi Ed
I tried copying your Haus brew for one of my first AGs (done on tuesday night). With being a newbie and living in the UK (imperal measures) i over compensated with the conversions to take into account low newbie efficencies.
Anyway i must have had a bit of beginners luck with the efficency because i hit the same high SG 1052-1053, this morning it had hit 1010. So much for the session house beer, on the plus side i sneaked a sample at 4days old and it tastes like i could drink a gallon (for those from the uk it was like badger champion ale without the elderflowers and not so sweet).
Already looking forward to supping this .

Old 02-18-2007, 03:29 AM   #10
EdWort

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy
Hi Ed
I tried copying your Haus brew for one of my first AGs (done on tuesday night). With being a newbie and living in the UK (imperal measures) i over compensated with the conversions to take into account low newbie efficencies.
Anyway i must have had a bit of beginners luck with the efficency because i hit the same high SG 1052-1053, this morning it had hit 1010. So much for the session house beer, on the plus side i sneaked a sample at 4days old and it tastes like i could drink a gallon (for those from the uk it was like badger champion ale without the elderflowers and not so sweet).
Already looking forward to supping this .
Congrats! It's a tasty brew! Just have patience with it. Mine aged on gas for over a month before it was moved to my kegerator.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Quick Reply