The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Would this work in a mash tun?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #1
ctbrewer227
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Would this work in a mash tun?

I was thinking the other day on new ways to make manifolds and false bottoms for mash tuns and this crossed my mind. Say I have a rectangular cooler and somehow make a frame that raises and inch or so off the bottom and has a window type screen in the frame. Then around the sides of the frame seal it with food grade silicone so no grains get into the bottom inch or so of dead space, just wort. Has anyone ever tried something like this before and if so how did it work?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
hercher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm thinking that window screen may be too fragile, and prone to being punctured by whatever you use to stir your mash.

Primary: Amber Ale. :(
Seconary: Don't use one, generally
Kegged: Stein beer
Planned: Saison, pale ale, brown ale

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king." - Shakespeare

Old 02-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 345 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 47

You will also find with each batch some smaller pieces make it through the screen and if it can't be removed--because of the silicone--then it will be very hard to clean underneath. Something removable is helpful for cleaning.

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
ctbrewer227
Recipes 

Thinking of getting my hands on some stainless steel mesh like used in strainers and making a frame with a rubber gasket around it so it can be removed if need be. Thanks for the input guys

Old 02-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
nachotime
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

this is why homebrewing is the best... despite perfectly good products out on the market, we (homebrewers) are always wondering how we can make things 1. Cheaper or 2. More unique.

i say try it. if it works the awesome. if not, at least you tried something new.

"Everyone's gotta believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer." - W.C. Fields

Old 02-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
Foosier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I think as long as it was removable it would work. Besides being fragile, the screen will also need to be supported somehow so it doesn't collapse under the weight of the grains. The joint between the screen and frame will definitely be the failure point.

Maybe if you could find a grate that could be attached under the screen, that would do the trick. A replacement grill grate or a cookie cooling rack might give you the support you'd need at a cheap cost.

Quick Reply