Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Is it worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
mendozer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Is it worth it?

I just saw a listing for this complete brewing setup.
3 tier stainless system all connected with silicone tubing, powered by a March pump and includes everything from stainless valves, plate chiller, water filter, 3 burners, barley crusher, blichman conical (may sell that), and 4 kegs (will sell)

all for $1800. I think its worth it if the system works well. Obviously tweaking can be done to my preference, but i think it's a deal. Ii just need convincing from fellow brewers to take the dive. I TECHNICALLY can afford it, but don't want to since I'm on a limited budget as a student.

Convince me!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

IMHO yes. I think that conical goes for 600-700 doesn't it?

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
mendozer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

depends if it's triclamp or not. tris retail at 800, regular at 600. i thought about parting it out as i have better bottles, buckets, etc. plus it'll help cut down on initial cost. If i ever venture into conicals, i might go with food grade plastics since i do ales anyway

Old 05-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
mendozer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i see that many people don't like fiddling with steel MT with regards to insulation. I use a cooler now and i lock in 155 for over 90 minutes. The advantage to this system is it's a turnkey. I could brew the next day.

My buddy and i combine his keggle with my MT for our setup. I could use a HLT, but I could make one out of another cooler.

all in all, this setup is great, but given my current setup, I could add a HLT for less than 50 bucks with a cooler, pump for ???$, and essentially have the same thing except for the stand and conical.

Damn i want it so bad but i don't feel its necessity.

Quick Reply