Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > wort won't run clear...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2008, 08:44 PM   #1
SHvanBommel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default wort won't run clear...

what do i do?? this was the first time crushing my own malt and i thought i had a pretty good crush but its not running clear and i've had to backflush the braid to continue the runoff... still vorlaufing but... suggestions?

Primary -
(1) Ice Cider (Dollar General China concentrate on Côte des Blancs with early fall fuji press juice)
(2) Ice Cider (shop rite generic concentrate on Côte des Blancs with Early fall fuji press juice)
(3) Ice Cider (shop rite generic concentrate on Mangrove Jack's Cider Year M02 with Early fall fuji press juice)
(4) Raspberry Melomel (Vintners Harvest Raspberry)
Secondary - Pumpkin Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2008, 08:48 PM   #2
ScottD13
Recipes 

Slow the drain and be patient. Palmer's book recommends 1 liter per minute. I've timed my runoff, it's like a piss trickle at that rate.

What's your water to grain ratio? I've found that high water ratios sometimes take longer to run clear as it takes longer for the grain be to compact. But that's just my experience.

Also, don't expect crystal clear runoff. Just recirculate until the little bits and pieces don't drain out.

BTW, you using wheat or oats? Also how was your crack, was it really fine with a lot of powder?

Old 11-28-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Did you test your conversion with a drop of iodine? Unconverted starches will add cloudiness.

You won't get crystal clear going into the kettle, just absent of large particulate matter.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:56 PM   #4
SHvanBommel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

ah... no iodine, and yeah i had powder but i thought it was the size of the husk when cracked that mattered... i love my corona mill... all 15 lbs of grain so fr... bastad... did 1qt/lb.
i usually do 1.5 but... i ended up comping up with an extra gal.

Primary -
(1) Ice Cider (Dollar General China concentrate on Côte des Blancs with early fall fuji press juice)
(2) Ice Cider (shop rite generic concentrate on Côte des Blancs with Early fall fuji press juice)
(3) Ice Cider (shop rite generic concentrate on Mangrove Jack's Cider Year M02 with Early fall fuji press juice)
Secondary - Pumpkin Ale

Old 11-28-2008, 08:58 PM   #5
SHvanBommel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

my runoff is about 1l every 2 minutes...

Primary -
Secondary - Pumpkin Ale

Old 11-28-2008, 09:18 PM   #6
SHvanBommel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

finally ran clear after 2 gal...

Primary -
Secondary - Pumpkin Ale

Quick Reply